What should I do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What should I do?

Alright I have been toying with the idea of selling my jeep and building a fullsize to eventually be a truggy of some sort. I have a 89 f-250 with a 351.
    It has IFS crap on it. What size tires can a front 60 handle? What about the price of a 60 compared to a set of Rockwells? Would this truck have a 10.25 rear?

I know I want to flatbed it and remove as much sheetmetal from the front as I can. I want to try to have no lift to keep my driveline angles good.

This is not definate. Its just an idea but I wanted to get some opinions.

I also have a 84 f-250 with a 460. Both trucks need some work and the 84 needs a lot of work to get it driveable. The 89 needs a oil pan and a gas tank. Which truck would be a better base to start with?
    91 fj 80 on 37 Nitto Muds with a 10k winch. Cage and sliders coming soon.

Interesting idea.......I especially like it because there are only two of us in our club (50+ members) that actually trailride fullsize rigs on any type of regular basis.

The other guy has a '78 F-250 longbed, moderately built 460, C6 trans, 205 case, D60 front, D70 rear, 42" TSLs, and about 2" of lift. It does really good, but is beat to hell and back regarding the sheetmetal.

He's had good luck with the D60 front considering the truck weighed around 7,000 lbs. for several years (he carried a LOT of spares in the bed.....as in around 1,000 lbs. worth of stuff...he weighed it all). With Spicer shafts (35-spline outers), broached stock drive flanges, and Spicer u-joints the only thing he broke after several years of beating it was a 35-spline stub, however the little spindle bearing was shot and had made a nice groove on the stub right were it broke so that issue was definitely a factor.

Comment

Go rockwells. Keep the jeep for tight trail runs.
      sigpic

Comment

Don't SELL, atleast not until you have a second offroad vehicle. That IFS won't flex really well. But they are pretty stout systems. Don't forget that is the primary suspension for desert racing. Montero Dan still runs front IFS and does very well, of course that is a much lighter vehicle.

Cut the fenders, slap some big tires on and run it. Great for a woods buggy, and trail bus, Haspin, Livingston, Natural Bridge. It will take a lot of money to make that a slinky rock buggy. So, if rocks are your plans I would re-think your path.

Just don't sell until you have something else.

Paul

Comment

Well the only reason I would do this is if I sell the Jeep to fund it. Its not something im real serious about but have thought about it
          91 fj 80 on 37 Nitto Muds with a 10k winch. Cage and sliders coming soon.

Comment

I thought the same thing. Carwash will probably vouch the same, let's see.

I convinced myself I needed the money to begin my next project. So once I sold the jeep, I spent 6 months, regreting because I couldn't go anywhere. Then I spent 6 months putting crap projects together that got sold off before they ever got started. Now a year plus later I'm back at square one with all the monies I earned from the sale long gone.

Don't rely on the sale of what you have to start a new project. Figure out what you really want scrimp and save to get it. Once your 90%, than sell.

I hated being jeepless, and even though I have a jeep that won't start in my yard now. I know I have the option to fix it and go anytime I want. 1.5 years without that option Majorly SUCKED.

My point was I never really needed that money to start the project I only neede to inspire myself to get off my but and do it.

Paul
            Last edited by Bear Chow; 03-11-2008, 09:01 AM.

Comment

Working...
            X