AX-15 Rebuild?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AX-15 Rebuild?

How hard is it to pull apart an AX-15 for a rebuild, basically new synchros and if anything else looks worn? I have done the old T-150s and T-176s before, just not the newer ones. The tranny really shifts pretty good, just shifts hard when cold.

I have an NV3550 that I had put in in it's place and I ma just not happy with it. Sounds like a lot noise from the front bearing and it pops out of 3rd fairly easily, so I thought I would freshen the AX-15 up a bit and swap it back in.
    1994 YJ, 4.0, 5 speed.

*2006 Dodge 2500 Cummins, 4x4 Auto,Quad cab, LongBed, Tekonsha Prodigy(Tow Rig)

Here's a rebuild on the sister tranny, the R151

http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/tech/r151f/

If it just shifts hard when cold, I'd try switching over to some synthetic oil like amsoil or redline. I've heard a lot of sucess stories about these oils. I need to change my R150 over too since it does shift hard when cold.
    88 4Runner, 350 V8 swap in progress

http://staff.4x4wire.com/adamf

Comment

If I had to rebuild one... I would do the NV3550... they seem to be quite a bit stronger, without the known weeknesses of the AX-15... but that's just me.

Gearbox is a gearbox... can't see how it could be dramatically different.
      brad

5.0L | 435 | 203 | 300 | 4.10 | 39.5
      Buildup BACK underway...

sigpic

Comment

Yeah, I don't know why, but I liked shifting the ax-15 better. I know the 3550 is considered the better tranny.

Originally posted by KargoMaster View Post
        If I had to rebuild one... I would do the NV3550... they seem to be quite a bit stronger, without the known weeknesses of the AX-15... but that's just me.

Gearbox is a gearbox... can't see how it could be dramatically different.
        1994 YJ, 4.0, 5 speed.

*2006 Dodge 2500 Cummins, 4x4 Auto,Quad cab, LongBed, Tekonsha Prodigy(Tow Rig)

Comment

The down side to the 3550 is that the aftermarket has stopped producing parts and the only place to get them now is through the stealership , so the price is going to be way high.

Comment

Working...
          X