My new Toy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Waffle
    Just an fyi, having coarse 23 spline axles means you also have a coarse 10 spline pinion. Not sure if that'll handle 44's and a big block once you get tired of taking it easy.

If you're inclined to upgrade the pinion by replacing the r&p this would be a good option. It's called the Jana 87 mod. This puts Dana 80 gears in a 70 housing, accepts 35 & 37spl shafts and if you can weld a carrier yourself you'll save some coin. I think your spindles will fit 37 spline, but not positive. I'll include a link below or you can google (Jana 87). He doesn't list it (never did) but I believe he still supplies the parts to convert.

Jantz Engineering
    https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...V2osugDkRkG4eU
    thansk,, I will keep this all in mind. Got a buddy with a nother CC dana 70 so going to see if those parts will fit mine so it will be a cheap upgrade

Comment

Originally posted by Smiddy24 View Post
      Yeah ram and full hydro is what I have on my jeep. It turns 40's like nothing.
      Going to try an ram assist steering with 2in ram and see how that works since I have the ram and just need to buy hoses and tap the steering box and make mounds. Just the steering box move the 38's I had on it with easy so I am hoping the ram will make it work with the 44's

Comment

Originally posted by kyrel69 View Post
        Going to try an ram assist steering with 2in ram and see how that works since I have the ram and just need to buy hoses and tap the steering box and make mounds. Just the steering box move the 38's I had on it with easy so I am hoping the ram will make it work with the 44's
        Here's my set up. This is full hydro, orbital valve. You could mount your ram like mine right off the axle housing, then connecting to the steering tie rod. Literally can use one finger to turn my wheels. It's very nice. I got this ram on Ebay, you can get the, at tracker supply though.
        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Smiddy24 View Post
          Here's my set up. This is full hydro, orbital valve. You could mount your ram like mine right off the axle housing, then connecting to the steering tie rod. Literally can use one finger to turn my wheels. It's very nice. I got this ram on Ebay, you can get the, at tracker supply though.
          What size is your ram?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by kyrel69 View Post
            What size is your ram?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
            It's a 2.5" bore x 8" inch stroke.

Comment

Here's the back side and how it's mounted. Fairly simple way to mount the ram.
              Attached Files

Comment

I had tapped the steering box on that rig for hydraulic assist but Tim caught a rock going down the trail and bent the shaft in the Box. I didn't tap the new one. You may be able to get away with hydraulic assist depending on what type of terrain you ride in. I would say Forty Fours and lot of rocks May kill the pump sooner. At least you got a Saginaw pump now instead of that Ford junk that was on there.
                The Dana 70 might hold up for you depending on your driving Style. We don't know what kind of abuse that axle had taken before Tim got it. That Axel is really old.
                The thing always needed better steering and either fuel injection or propane. Never could get the Holly to run right.
                I would probably at some point change the stock Spicer joints in the front axle and go with some type of chromoly like a Yukon super joints. I messed up two sets of axles by breaking the Spicer joint so I ended up going with the Yukon super joints. Some say I have an aggressive driving style though. [emoji848]

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                X