Detroit locker!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Detroit locker!

Took advantage of the nice weather today and installed my Detroit locker! Now just have to fill it up with some gear oil and she ready for Rush!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Was it welded before? If so I would be curious to see what you think between the two.

Can't beat working on a 10.5" 14-bolt. It's much easier to setup than a Dana 60.

Comment

Originally posted by blazerbrad View Post
      Was it welded before? If so I would be curious to see what you think between the two.

Can't beat working on a 10.5" 14-bolt. It's much easier to setup than a Dana 60.
      Sorry I just saw this.. No it was not welded, before I put the locker in I had a mini spool. The mini spool over time of constantly bouncing over things, the pins in the spool would back out. So that's why I went this option and I've always wanted one in the rear. I have a Detroit Locker up front. Plus when we make our trip out to Moab this June, the locker in the rear will help with turning on the roads since we will be driving our rigs on the road often to get to trails. Whereas on a spool, you're constantly locked and when you turn it wants to push the jeep straight instead of actually turning.

Comment

My 14-bolt is welded so behaves just like a mini-spool. Actually I welded the side gears, cross and everything else together so it basically is a mini-spool with nothing welded to the actual carrier. Did that 15 years ago thinking I would try that option for free but be able to go to a Detroit at some point. The welded diff behaves well enough in my Blazer I've never been willing to spend the money on a Detroit but still in the back of mind.

Comment

Oh okay I see what you're saying. Yeah the Detroit I bought was through Amazon actually and it was $449.99. So I just went ahead and bit the bullet since my tax return hit around that time. But the second spool we put in after they warranty the one that the pins back out, we actually welded the pins to the spool. This obviously would keep the pins from backing out. It worked after taking the carrier apart this go around and inspecting the spool. So if anything goes wrong with the Detroit (Which hopefully that doesn't happen for a very long time) I will have that as a backup.

Comment

Working...
          X