trailer tires

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• trailer tires

Needing to replace the 225/75R15 tires on my trailer. What does everybody recommend? Tandem axle 18' steel deck car trailer.

Local small tire shop (highly trusted) recommends the Towmax E-rated tires at close to $100/each after mount, balance, and tax. Asked about a "cash and carry" and he only took $5 off per tire. Looks like the same tire online is about $70 each and I could mount them at home, but obviously can't balance them.

When I bought my trailer new it had some cheapo P-rated car trailers on it. Ran it for years hauling a fullsize Blazer on 1-tons before having a blow out. Then bought a set of E-rated (10 ply rated) Carlisle radial trailer tires years ago. The Carlisle, which I thought were supposed to be a good tire, are junk. Had a blow out the second trip out (maybe coincidence, maybe not) and now all are severely out of round to the point you can feel it bouncing in the truck when going down the road.

I run second-hand 31x1050 LT tires. You can sometimes find them as cheap as $100 a SET. No, it's not "right," but the rated capacity is almost double what I put on them, and I've only lost one in fifteen years.

As for home-mounting, you can throw a half a cup of airsoft pellets in each one and they'll balance just fine.
    Last edited by WrenchMonkey; 01-09-2019, 04:03 PM.
    DIRTY DEEDS, DONE DIRT CHEAP
    Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stranger

Comment

I've had good luck with Kenda Karrier or loadatar tires. Thats what's on my camper now.
      I mounted them at home and had them balanced at tire discounters.
      Simple tire had the best price. Free shipping, no tax.
      Load range E 225/75-15 $89.92 each

Sent from my S7 using Tapatalk

Comment

From work I can get trailer tires at a discount. Anywhere from about 75-90 a tire.

Comment

Maxxis trailer tires are the best that I could find when i was looking a few years ago. They were too hard to find at tire shops, that would be my choice if you can wait to find a set.

Note, I do not have them, I ended up with Carlisles due to time constraints and have had 2 of them let go on me.

jim

Comment

I am running carlisles. No issues yet. Made it to moab and back. Before this I ran gladiator tires. Also no issues with those

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
            91 fj 80 on 37 Nitto Muds with a 10k winch. Cage and sliders coming soon.

Comment

Working...
            X