Dualy or no dualy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dualy or no dualy?

I'm looking at buying a truck and my buddy says that it's a bad idea to get a dualy unless I will be towing a ton of weight. Well it's just for moving my boat and Jeep so not too much weight. I found a good deal on one and was wondering on what your guys opinions were on it?
    I believe this will be our finest hour

get a dually and you will never have a fear of overloading it. i miss mine. but i do enjoy my single wheel right now as well, so it's a toss up for me.

cons: wide, forget city parking, gotta plan ahead for crap like parking garage entrances etc. those swelled rear flairs aren't made for rubbing.

pros: duallies rule. serious tongue weight capacity, even more gooseneck capacity. look great with staks... hahahaha,

Comment

Duallies track better while towing a trailer at high speeds down the road. Insurance will be a bit higher and 2 more tires to worry about. One ton vehicles by law have parking restrictions on them in Fairfield, Ohio.
      sigpic

Comment

Yeah I think just because of the extra width I will stick with a SRW. I enjoyed my old 250 SRW and it was plenty capable
        I believe this will be our finest hour

Comment

If it is for the right price how about converting it to SRW?
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by 94Dodge Truggy View Post
            If it is for the right price how about converting it to SRW?
            but then the good price is gone... that's a lot of converting money, unless you happen to have all the parts.

Comment

Originally posted by carwash View Post
              but then the good price is gone... that's a lot of converting money, unless you happen to have all the parts.
              If it is barely a good deal then no it will not be worth it, but if it is a sweet deal then it can be done. Sell the wheel spacers and tires or trade them for someone who wants a dually. Truck beds can be found cheap and in great shape from takeoffs. I have seen this done quickly and easily.
              sigpic

Comment

well i was assuming you meant totally swapping it out, which would mean changing front hubs as well rear axle, etc... lots more than swapping rear wheels and a bed if you want to do it right.

Comment

First off I never do anything right. That is boring.

Only know dodge trucks well enough to say that the differences in em are only rear leaf springs, rear axle length, extra bolt in frame brace and bed flares. Once you remove the front wheel spacers the front end is identical in coil springs and even brakes. The main frame of the trucks are identical also.

I am wondering if scarface even cares about this at this point as I believe I am wearing my finger out for nothing. ;) On the good side though my finger print is disappearing and now I am hard to identify.
                  sigpic

Comment

front wheel spacers? Dodges use spacers, not dually hubs?

Comment

front wheel spacers? Dodges use spacers, not dually hubs?
                      Yeah, they are 3.5'' steel spacers. Some may think they are weak but they are sure simple.
                      sigpic

Comment

so why are they the only of the big three to go this route? very odd.

Comment

Originally posted by scarface View Post
                          ........................................ I found a good deal on one and was wondering ................................
                          I believe this should be a factor in your decision,
                          For you guys who can't drive, I have owned a frame rack for several years. Prices are based on your skill and ability to wreck it....

Comment

so why are they the only of the big three to go this route? very odd.
                            Why do what the others do? Probably cheaper? I can not fit a dually where I need to go so I always order or have found a truck with the same springs, axle etc. as a dually. My finger is now finally worn down. Hurts a bit too!
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by 94Dodge Truggy View Post
                              Duallies track better while towing a trailer at high speeds down the road. Insurance will be a bit higher and 2 more tires to worry about. One ton vehicles by law have parking restrictions on them in Fairfield, Ohio.

FYI :
                              Insurance is no higher in Ohio for a dually. I insure my 02 Ford F-350 Diesel 4x4 SRW for $20 more a year than my 06 3500 GMC Duramax diesel 4x4 dually... Both are crew cabs and diesels. both are loaded to the hilt...
                              In some states like Connecticut, an truck with dually rear wheels is considered a commercial truck. Even in private hands.. And can run in upwards of $1,100.oo a month to insure... (I have a buddy that moved from here to Connecticut and is going nuts about this policy)
                              Insurance rates have to do with your driving record, age, sex, and credit score (if you can believe that)

Comment

Working...
                              X