Dana 60 Shaft Upgrade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by boomhauer View Post
    pete and shawn break more chromos than any1 i know and they only run a 37" tire!!!
    hmm...i can honestly say i've never seen them break one. guess i haven't wheeled with em enough. have you ever seen em break an inner shaft though? hopefully i'll get to see em pop a couple at harlan then.
    Last edited by mckeddie; 10-09-2008, 05:34 PM.
    zuk buggy.....it'll be a jeep eventually.

Comment

Originally posted by mckeddie View Post
      have you ever seen em break an inner shaft though? hopefully i'll get to see em pop a couple at harlan then.
      At Harlan in October/November of 2006, Pete may have broken an inner D60 axle. I loaned him a 35 spline drive flange out of my rig, and a spare short side axle assembly...35 spline inner, 35 spline outer.

I have Yukon 35 spline inners & outers, w/ Longfield Super Joints, and 35 spline drive flanges. I do not want any weak links in my setup because I have a Detroit Locker. If and axle/joint/flange/lockout, etc were to fail under load, I have an excellent chance of wiping out the $550 locker. If you run an ARB, spool, welded front diff, (or even a Lockright), etc, this is less of a concern.

Back to the shafts: I have a slight but visible twisting of the splines on the short side inner. It has been that way for well over a year. With that said, I've wheeled the truck less this year than I have in the past five years.

Roy
      Large: 1978 Ford F-250
      469 V-8 on Propane
      C6, NP-205, 4.10's, 42" TSL's on 15x8's
      D60: Detroit, 35 spline Alloy Shafts w/ Longfield Superjoints,
      Dedenbear Knuckles, Drive Flanges.
      1410 Driveshafts, D70-U Welded, 12K Winch,
      A-6 OBA, Rapid Weight Loss, Personality
      www.ohio4x4.com

Medium: 2009 Yamaha Grizzly 700
      Fuel Injection, Power Steering, Diff-Lock, 27" Tires, 5K Winch

Small: 1993 Suzuki DR350 S

Comment

I have not broke the front 60 yet and thought that I would have by now. I have 2 extra warn 30 spline lockouts for the stock shafts and another stock outer and just bought a 1978 ford complete with 400, c6, and 60's front and rear. Not so sure about upgrading now. Looking to order a mini stak 3 speed t-case for the winter project.
        sigpic

Comment

Working...
        X