Rear End Problems?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sickws6 View Post
    I believe 94s have c-clips. This guy is selling a dana35 complete with axles and all for 200 off his tj. I may offer him 150 just for now to get this thing moving around If I upgrade I can always sell it pluss I will have spare parts!
    tj has coil spring mounts to deal with cutting off and welding new leaf spring mounts on so that will be a little more work
    One of these days Zuk 2.0

Comment

Originally posted by Flxratd View Post
      tj has coil spring mounts to deal with cutting off and welding new leaf spring mounts on so that will be a little more work
      Yea. What about a cj-5 rear what would need modified to that to fit my yj? There is a guy selling his complete rear out of his cj-5 and wants 150 for it.

Comment

Yea. What about a cj-5 rear what would need modified to that to fit my yj? There is a guy selling his complete rear out of his cj-5 and wants 150 for it.
        That would be an amc 20 rear with narrower spring perches I believe and is also a weak axle. same ratio? Maybe I will sell the one from my street wrangler that is a 4.10 ratio and will bolt right in.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by 94Dodge Truggy View Post
          That would be an amc 20 rear with narrower spring perches I believe and is also a weak axle. same ratio? Maybe I will sell the one from my street wrangler that is a 4.10 ratio and will bolt right in.
          HOW MUCH??

Comment

The CJ's also had a different wheel bolt pattern.

I would think you could find a rear axle out of a YJ that would bolt right in, just have to get the right gear ratio.

Comment

Searching here:
              http://cincinnati.upullandpay.com/search.aspx

Comes up with a 98 & 99 explorer. These should have the 8.8 you need.
              Bring someone with you to the yard to help you check the gear ratio.
              Out the door with brakes & all will run you around $250 unless you have a coupon from a previous visit there. Call them & they'll tel ya the exact price.
              Pull the correct one, bring it & your old axle to my garage along with a pack of 4.5" cut-off wheels & I'll get the perches on the 8.8 for ya for cheap.

Comment

Originally posted by jfiscus View Post
                Searching here:
                http://cincinnati.upullandpay.com/search.aspx

Comes up with a 98 & 99 explorer. These should have the 8.8 you need.
                Bring someone with you to the yard to help you check the gear ratio.
                Out the door with brakes & all will run you around $250 unless you have a coupon from a previous visit there. Call them & they'll tel ya the exact price.
                Pull the correct one, bring it & your old axle to my garage along with a pack of 4.5" cut-off wheels & I'll get the perches on the 8.8 for ya for cheap.
                I have have a grinder/cutoff tool I could cut off the ford mounts and the jeep perches. And I can also borrow my buddies welder, thanks for the info and your offer to help. I will take a look at that site. I know there are plenty of write-ups on 8.8 conversion but what are the necessary steps?

Comment

cut and weld new perches on, put the flange on the u-joint, bolt that fugger in?

Comment

cut and weld new perches on, put the flange on the u-joint, bolt that fugger in?
                    haha nice! What bout the brakes, use the disks or drums. and what about the shock mounts?

Comment

cut off & weld the shock mounts onto the 8.8 when you do the spring perches.
                      jeep only welded these on the outside of the mounts - making it easy to remove these off a junk axle.

definitely keep the disks for better stopping power, you may need to adapt the two lines from jeep metric to ford if they are standard, but that is cake.

Comment

cut off & weld the shock mounts onto the 8.8 when you do the spring perches.
                        jeep only welded these on the outside of the mounts - making it easy to remove these off a junk axle.

definitely keep the disks for better stopping power, you may need to adapt the two lines from jeep metric to ford if they are standard, but that is cake.
                        gotcha, is there engough hydraulic pressure for the ford calipers?

Comment

Yes. You can easily carry around a D-35 all day long by yourself. A 8.8 takes 2 people to lift it. Its a no brainer. Trust the people who have delt with this. its well worth it.
                          91 fj 80 on 37 Nitto Muds with a 10k winch. Cage and sliders coming soon.

Comment

Well It looks like I have made up my mind and it is better to do it right the first way instead of waisting money getting another d-35 I will now be looking for a 8.8 with 4.10's! Thanks guys for the input it really helps a lot.

Comment

X2 on doing it right the first time.

Comment

Working...
                              X