Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My on-board welder project(The Hillbuilt)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Coppertop View Post
    Hmm. Like your thinking..If not to much trouble,maybe a pic of the switch.
    Something like this:

That's the idea anyway...

Ours don't have the fancy little arrow, just a white stripe...

See ya
    DIRTY DEEDS, DONE DIRT CHEAP
    Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stranger

Comment

remove the air box Nate, keep a list of what parts you buy from where, I'd like to do this asap also. Do a cowl snorkle intake, that's what I'm doing next, that'll free up all your air box room.

Comment

Yeah thats what I saw and thinking I will be doing. i am adding a pully to the PS pulley so I can run the alt of of that with a V-belt
        88 XJ - 5" lift - 35" BFG's - Bumpers - Rock Rails - Homebrewed OBA - Roof Rack - Tube Doors - Trimmed - Dented

87 XJ - D44 - Disco D30 - 235's - 231TC - Stock for now

Comment

With adding an extra pully it would be a good time to convert to dual electric fans to relieve some of the stress on the system by removing the fan clutch. I've seen a few in person now that run dual electric OEM fans with no issues.
          get ahold of me sometime & we'll do these projects. My garage is wide open now that I got the old CJ out so plenty of room for whatever ideas we come up with.

Comment

Yeah i planned to take that thing off since I have never had a shroud for it anyways. Right now we are still unwedding-ing and trying to get the house back to normal. Doesn't help my contract job ends in at the end of the year and the old lady was laid off 2 weeks before the wedding. Anyways enough of that.

Anymore test with this Weldernator?
            88 XJ - 5" lift - 35" BFG's - Bumpers - Rock Rails - Homebrewed OBA - Roof Rack - Tube Doors - Trimmed - Dented

Comment

Thanks for the pic Robert.. I hope to get some time next week to check on the elect box. May try and stop at Radio Shack tonight.

Nick
              Just a 200 dollar cherokee that wouldn't start ..
              Ten years later same chrome grille ..

Comment

Thanks for the pic Robert.. I hope to get some time next week to check on the elect box. May try and stop at Radio Shack tonight.

Nick
                I hit up Radio Shack for a "Project Box", two switches, two fuse holders, and a LED yesterday and also got a 110V plug from the depot.

This is how my control box is looking right now:

Comment

Nice job RuffedUpXj... What your cost in your elect box?

Nick

Comment

Nice job RuffedUpXj... What your cost in your elect box?

Nick
                    It's like $18 right now and then when I add the welding disconnects it will almost double. But its nice and contained so no water or Haspin dirt inside.

Now its alt. and welding leads with stinger and ground. So the big bucks are left. I plan to head to UPullandPay and look at some Fords with accessories and hopefully a Cronw Vic since they are 130 amp with the Police Option that could have 180 amp.

Comment

Very cool set up. Nice work.

What welding rods should be used?

Comment

Originally posted by maddhatter View Post
                        Very cool set up. Nice work.

What welding rods should be used?
                        People that have finished the setup say usually the 3/32" rods stay burning while the 1/8" rod are had to keep burning. But usually I think its a combo of E6011, E6013 and E7013 or so. Something around those depending on what you need, deep penetration, pretty weld, horizontal or vertical.

Comment

The weld in my pic is a 6013 1/8 rod. Thinking about carrying the 1/8 and some smaller dia. ones for the thinner metal.

Good Luck on your search RuffedUpXj ... Man, a 180amp from a crown vic.. Sweet!!! Know what I'll be searching for next trip to the boneyard.

Nick

Comment

The weld in my pic is a 6013 1/8 rod. Thinking about carrying the 1/8 and some smaller dia. ones for the thinner metal.

Good Luck on your search RuffedUpXj ... Man, a 180amp from a crown vic.. Sweet!!! Know what I'll be searching for next trip to the boneyard.

Nick
                            I am hoping to overdrive the alternator pretty close to how big the crank pulley is on the 4.0 to the alternator pulley. So I got some fab work to do since I want to add another belt to the system.

Comment

I'm back on four wheels.:)
                              Picked up some items today to hopefully finish this project .

Details soon....

Nick

Comment

Finally getting time to post a update with a few pics...

Everything is installed and working.(Except hand throttle)

The top radiator hose had to be replaced.Gates flex stick worked prefect. The top of alt was hitting the hood .Some metal bending and cutting took care of that issue.

The homemade control box. Picked up the box at Home Depot. The elect terminals from J&N Electric.

Too save money and limit hauling more items around. I used my rear winch extension cord and made the welding leads from a old set of jumper cables.Just plug and weld.

Got a new tool box to store it. I'm pleased with how it welds. I'm still deciding on the hand throttle.

Total cost 100.00

Stay tuned for a video ..

Nick

Go Bengals!! WHO-DEY!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X