propane conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• propane conversion

I am seriously considering running propane on the trail rig i am building.
    Seems to be the way to go these days. From what i have read here there are a few of you that are running propane on your trail rigs.

I have tanks already and will be needing the rest of the parts. Was hoping i could get some advice, parts soures, how much $ i might expect to spend for the parts. Will be running a 4.3 chevy if it makes a difference at this point.

thanks in advance....
    sigpic
    chris hodges
    96 fzj80 3x locked, 4"lift, 37s, homebrew sliders and bumpers,a work in progress
    71 fj55, SOA, locked...The jungle bus... retired

Check out this site. Most of the guys I know that have done it use their kits.

http://www.gotpropane.com/

Comment

propane is gay... but if you must use it, check out the link above. His stuff is a little more pricey, but his kits are COMPLETE and the customer service is great. If you have issues or need help, you can count on him...

Comment

Originally posted by carwash View Post
        propane is gay... but if you must use it, check out the link above. His stuff is a little more pricey, but his kits are COMPLETE and the customer service is great. If you have issues or need help, you can count on him...
        Can you tell me how you really feel about propane ?
        sigpic
        chris hodges
        96 fzj80 3x locked, 4"lift, 37s, homebrew sliders and bumpers,a work in progress
        71 fj55, SOA, locked...The jungle bus... retired

Comment

propane is gay

it may be gay but i've never seen a rig run as long as ur's on 1 tank b4
          95 yj, fresh fuel injected 302, c-6, twin sticked 205, 3 linked high pinion d60 front, double trianulated 4 linked 14 bolt rear (all aluminum links) locked both ends, 4:56 gears, full hydro steering, high steer, 4 wheel discs, 16" 2.5 fox air shocks, 39.5" irok's. just finishing a full frame-up redo thanks to a great friend and one knowledgable(sp?) s.o.b casey cravens for without him this could not have been done in such a short time and done right!

LOOK OUT "WHITEY" HERE I COME!!!

Comment

Ha, no kidding, i was amazed at how efficient it is. I ran the power valve way in, thinking i was gonna starve for fuel, but it seems i may have got it just right.

Used just a little more than 2 tanks the entire weekend. 2 full days of wheeling...

Comment

Propane's not gay, its just misunderstood! I pieced mine together from junk and it works great!!! There can't be an easier fuel system to set up, a tank seems to last way longer than everyone told me they would, it runs at any angle, won't spill out if you roll over,and you can work on a running vehicle inside all day and it won't kill you. The only things I don't like about it are dragging 2 extra tanks around, and remembering to get them all filled before a trip.

Comment

If I had 2 identical engines next to eachother both with flowmaster mufflers, could you tell a difference in them by sound?
                91 fj 80 on 37 Nitto Muds with a 10k winch. Cage and sliders coming soon.

Comment

if your nose was plugged no but i will say driving it you will. when we put it on my buddies sammy (i know some of you have weedeater engines that have more power) it was like a fresh engine as far as the power was concerned. propane i think is like 110 octane and it sure made his feel alot more responsive
                  One of these days Zuk 2.0

Comment

Originally posted by Nuts View Post
                    ...you can work on a running vehicle inside all day and it won't kill you...
                    Really? That sure doesn't sound right to me, but I guess I don't really know...

Robert
                    DIRTY DEEDS, DONE DIRT CHEAP
                    Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stranger

Comment

Originally posted by WrenchMonkey View Post

Robert
                      That's why forklifts and other stuff with engines that are inside a building all day (i.e. warehouse, etc...) run propane.

Comment

Originally posted by WrenchMonkey View Post

Robert
                        wont kill ya but sure does make you want to grill some burgers
                        One of these days Zuk 2.0

Comment

Originally posted by Nuts View Post
                          Propane's not gay, its just misunderstood! I pieced mine together from junk and it works great!!! There can't be an easier fuel system to set up, a tank seems to last way longer than everyone told me they would, it runs at any angle, won't spill out if you roll over,and you can work on a running vehicle inside all day and it won't kill you. The only things I don't like about it are dragging 2 extra tanks around, and remembering to get them all filled before a trip.
                          i built my set up the same way and it is amazing how simple it is.
                          your prob gona need a 200-250 mixer, a regulator(converts l.p. to vapor, and these all do the same thing), and a vacuum block off/filter first in line. look here https://www.altfuel.com/
                          sigpicI EAT BURRITOS ON EVERYTHING!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Hahah, just reading this...

difference in sound, no
                            difference in smell, should be minimal (almost "no") if running right
                            110 octane... yes-ish
                            takes longer to burn, burns hotter I think (exhaust valves do not love propane)
                            BTU's per gallon about 90% of gasoline
                            You can usually make up for less energetic fuel through timing adjustments or propane specific cam...

Liquid draw tanks (BBQ is vapor draw tank) converted into vapor, delivered at any angle... It's cool stuff for sure...

The only exhaust should be CO2 (again, if running right), so yes/no on the "breath exhaust all day long" piece... CO2 is still an asphixiate.
                            (It will displace the oxygen that you need to live, well, that most need to live)

I have a 425 that needs rebuilt, bought it when I was going to go C3H8 but plans changed... couple of throttle plates too I believe... I gave all my tanks to CW...

btw, just for fun youtube "BLEVE" (pronounced 'BLEV-EE)
                            ...Boiling Liquid Expanding Vapor Explosion
                            Last edited by KargoMaster; 11-09-2009, 05:44 PM.
                            brad

5.0L | 435 | 203 | 300 | 4.10 | 39.5
                            Buildup BACK underway...

sigpic

Comment

I love propane! Especially the fact that it doesn't spill out when I role over.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X