Dana 30 hub conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dana 30 hub conversion

Can I take Cj outer knuckles and do a hub conversion on my Xj and then put the bolt pattern adapter spacers on the back to make it all work?
    91 fj 80 on 37 Nitto Muds with a 10k winch. Cage and sliders coming soon.

no,, the ball joint in a CJ go in the outter knuckles and the XJ are pressed into the inner knuckles.

But I did see were someone is makeing knuckles for the XJ(and other jeeps that use that knuckles) that use all the older hub parts

Comment

Should have just got a CJ, they last forever.

Comment

why? I would assume running a full-time front locker?

Comment

http://www.reiderracing.com/product_...ducts_id=32424

here is a link to the knuckles I was talking about

Comment

Originally posted by jfiscus View Post
            why? I would assume running a full-time front locker?
            For now i want to weld it and possibly put some good shafts and joints in. I also dont want to deal with the unit bearings

Comment

If you have a CJ 30 couldn't you use the inner C's and knuckles on the XJ 30 ??? just an idea .... prolly alot more work then it's worth but an idea.

Comment

Originally posted by sarge View Post
                If you have a CJ 30 couldn't you use the inner C's and knuckles on the XJ 30 ??? just an idea .... prolly alot more work then it's worth but an idea.
                well the tube size are different between the CJ dana 30 and the XJ dana 30.
                Scotty has been wanting to do this for a while and has looked into it a lot. Maybe he will speak up

Comment

Originally posted by sarge View Post
                  depends on if you want to use a stock xj inner shaft. the Cs themselves are different lengths,due to hos the balljoints are pressed into the inner C on the xj.

the tube diameters are the same- you can carefully cut off the xj C and persuade the cj C onto the xj housing. however,you axle is essentially narrower now,so youll need a custom inner shaft

i have had this project on the back burner for a long time now,lol... in order to use stock xj inner shafts you need to space the cj inner C out a couple inches,in whatever manner you are comfortable. anywhere from changing out the tube ( ) to sleeving it with something.

ive got cj Cs with a couple inches of tube still attached. when i determine exactly how much wider it needs to be im planning to weld the 2 tubes together,then sleeve the joint with 2 halves of tubing(welded together,and to each tube) another method that would be alittle more effort(unless you own a machine shop) would be to extend the xj housing with a bigger tube,then machine the cj inner Cs to slide over that larger diameter.

if you have any other questions let me know,or of it helps you any i can snap a few pics later. right now i gotta get movin to go help dave pick up his new junk
                  scotty

85 grand wagoneer(whats left of it)
                  77 scout II truggy
                  84 chevy "home made crewcab"

Delightfully Tacky,Yet Unrefined

Comment

Nope but it sounds like more than I want to get into.

Did you ever do anything with that Super Duty axle?

Comment

nope im a slacker. too many irons inthe fire
                      scotty

85 grand wagoneer(whats left of it)
                      77 scout II truggy
                      84 chevy "home made crewcab"

Delightfully Tacky,Yet Unrefined

Comment

Originally posted by itbrokeagain View Post
                        Did you ever do anything with that Super Duty axle?
                        I don't even like the SuperDuty axle under my SuperDuty. I certainly wouldn't infect a project rig with one...

Robert
                        DIRTY DEEDS, DONE DIRT CHEAP
                        Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stranger

Comment

Working...
                        X