D44 in a YJ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• D44 in a YJ?

A buddy of the owner brought his YJ project intot he shop to get a new clutch. He had me take a quick glance at it since I know more about the modified vehicles than he does, and I noticed that the front steering has issues that need addressed.

Someone has swapped a D44 with an air locker into this YJ, but the steering is rubbing a hole in the tie rod.... What are your suggestions?

I suggested a SOA lift kit, but wasn't sure what to do with the steering after that. I assume with a larger lift he'd be running larger tires and would need a stronger steering setup.

Take a look at the images below

Last edited by jfiscus; 01-26-2010, 08:54 AM.

SUA... sounds like something that Paul would do...

How about a non-drop pitman arm??
    brad

5.0L | 435 | 203 | 300 | 4.10 | 39.5
    Buildup BACK underway...

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by KargoMaster View Post
      SUA... sounds like something that Paul would do...

How about a non-drop pitman arm??
      You beat me to the pitman arm idea. Does he want to change the ride height?
      Ian

06 Toyota 4Runner

Comment

change the shackles out to a boomerang style or longer possibly.
        sigpic

Comment

From the second picture it looks too me like there is a problem with the springs. The shackles are pushed way too far forward to be sitting in stock position.Look at it from the side. and maybe measure the springs and axle location on the springs ?????

Shawn

Comment

Where would a TRE flip put you????

Comment

we were recommending he do an SOA lift, what do you suggest steering wise after that?

what else can I provide pics of?

Comment

Originally posted by jfiscus View Post
                we were recommending he do an SOA lift, what do you suggest steering wise after that?

what else can I provide pics of?
                Just get the heims and do a full cross over. worth the couple hundy, for the parts.

Comment

I agree with the above comment that something definitely looks different in regards to the front springs and shackle angle. Are they stock length springs? Are the mounts stock? I'm almost betting that the front axle was moved forward.

Comment

i know the object is to not shorten the wheelbase but is there enough room to redrill the fixed end mount and relocate the spring back an inch or so ? free fix with just a little time
                    One of these days Zuk 2.0

Comment

I would fix the coolant leak while it is in there too.
                      One Country, One Flag, One Language...
                      LIKE IT OR LEAVE IT!!!

Comment

that minor jeep issue shouldnt affect how it pulls in 2 mall parking spots..... right?

hell tell him 2 buy a toyota
                        sigpicI EAT BURRITOS ON EVERYTHING!!!!!!!!!

Comment

you would NOT believe what he has into this thing...

Anyways, we pulled the trans & it's not stock either.
                          From a visual inspection it looks like a GM 465, then adaptor, then an unknown tcase? Did YJs have that flange at the rear? We sent the pulled parts off to the parts house for them to match up; hopefully the new stuff works.

Scott, if you might be interested in some work, give me a ring. 513-317-2314
                          - jason

Comment

I just thought about it. Check and see if you could do full crossover steering. The tie rod could go where it apparently originally went and the drag link could extend where the tie rod currently is. Check for clearances. Just an idea if they don't want to lift.

On the T-case, the possibility exists that it could be an oddball NP207 from and 87 wrangler. Never laid eyes on one, but they came in front of a Peugot trans that year so????
                            1988 Suzuki Samurai on propane
                            FJ 40 axles (4.10)
                            5.14 tcase
                            36" TSL SX

Comment

Originally posted by jfiscus View Post
                              you would NOT believe what he has into this thing...

Anyways, we pulled the trans & it's not stock either.
                              From a visual inspection it looks like a GM 465, then adaptor, then an unknown tcase? Did YJs have that flange at the rear? We sent the pulled parts off to the parts house for them to match up; hopefully the new stuff works.

Scott, if you might be interested in some work, give me a ring. 513-317-2314
                              - jason
                              The t-case looks like it has an aluminum case. If it's a New Process version then it should have a round metal tag on the back face of it (they sometimes get knocked off, but usually are still in place). Chevy used the SM465 with several aluminum t-cases, but they didn't offer a driver's side drop until '88 (NP241) in the fullsize trucks, but a passenger side drop NP231 was found in S-10s for years. But to the my knowledge none ever had a fixed rear yoke like that stock, but aftermarket SYE's were available.

Comment

Working...
                              X