cherokee dana44 into 99 tj

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cherokee dana44 into 99 tj

found a rear end out of a 97 cherokee. its a dana 44. how hard would it be to put this into a tj. i figure it would be the same as puttin a 8.8. with into the tj with having to weld brackets. looking for more info. i was planning on buying the front off of the guy but figured i might as well get the set.
    UNITED STATES MARINE
    99 TJ, locked, long armed, creepy's
    sigpic

Well, you know it's not the stock 97 axle, right? 44s in 87, 88, maybe 89.

It's a good axle, kinda hard to find so they're getting kinda pricey.

The 8.8 is just as good (some say better), a lot easier to find, so typically a lot cheaper.

Get one with the disc brakes and it's no contest.

Robert
    DIRTY DEEDS, DONE DIRT CHEAP
    Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stranger

Comment

well i can get both for 400. i was originally thinkin about just the 30 but im not sure if its the disconnect or non disconnect front end. would either work or which one would be better.
      UNITED STATES MARINE
      sigpic

Comment

did a little research and i found that 96-99 are hp 30 that are the non-disconnect. older than 96 are the disconnect front end with smaller joints. newer than that are the lp.

so it should be a good swap into the tj, being a hp. as long as the info i found os correct. still waiting on a reply from the guy but i might still get both possibly.

any further info would help i goin to try to have y dad pick it up this upcoming week for me so i can swap when i get back to the states.
        UNITED STATES MARINE
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by mossyoaktj View Post
          did a little research...
          Well, it's a little more complicated than that (here's a great XJ reference page: http://www.yuccaman.com/jeep/history.html )

But the short answer is that yes, a 97 XJ D30 will be non-disco, high pinion, 297 joint, and an excellent swap into your TJ.

The 44 is a great axle, and I didn't mean to schidt on it, I run one myself. If the price is right, go for it. $400 for the pair seems pretty good, how much for just the 30?

I assume they're open diffs, what about gears?

Robert

Comment

no problem. 125 for the 30 and 275 for the 44. i didnt think it was a bad deal. both are 3.73. thats y originally i was just wanting the 30 because my new 35 is 3.73 compared to the 30 thats a 3.07. thanks for link. hopefully i will get feedback soon so i can get my dad to pick up the set.
            UNITED STATES MARINE
            sigpic

Comment

both axles are out a 97 grand cherokee all coils. will these directly swap into the tj
              UNITED STATES MARINE
              sigpic

Comment

did a little research and from what i found these axles will not work. can anybody second that
                UNITED STATES MARINE
                sigpic

Comment

That dana 44 is garbage. Its aluminum and its very bendy.
                  91 fj 80 on 37 Nitto Muds with a 10k winch. Cage and sliders coming soon.

Comment

Originally posted by itbrokeagain View Post
                    That dana 44 is garbage. Its aluminum and its very bendy.
                    i read that they its a dana44 that shouldnt even be called a dana44

but all the brackets are different so i think gettin the axles is goin to be a no go. ill keep to changin my front to a 3.73 already have the carrier, ordering the ring and pinion this week along wiht an aussie
                    UNITED STATES MARINE
                    sigpic

Comment

found a rear end out of a 97 cherokee...
                      both axles are out a 97 grand cherokee...
                      Well, that changes things a bit.

The $125 D30 is still your best bet. The ZJ is low pinion like your TJ, so it's not the upgrade the XJ D30 woulda been. But $125 is by FAR cheaper than regearing yours.

Robert
                      Last edited by WrenchMonkey; 01-27-2010, 11:59 PM.

Comment

do the brackets still bolt up like the xj on the zj's or wj's. not sure which one it may be all four corners are coils.
                        UNITED STATES MARINE
                        sigpic

Comment

do the brackets still bolt up like the xj on the zj's or wj's. not sure which one it may be all four corners are coils.
                          If it's a '97 then it will be a ZJ. The WJ's did not come around until '99.

Comment

yeah i actually just seen the years between the two. my only question now is if the zj front dana 30 is a direct bolt in to the tj. ive been researching but theres really nothin about zj axles into a tj. but the little i did find is that the dana 30 would bolt straight in. but however i have found really no permant advise to whether this is true or not
                            UNITED STATES MARINE
                            sigpic

Comment

i may be out of order here but why are you even considering a 30 or 35 and for that matter even a 44 unless you are just looking to trail ride and not go bigger than a 33" tire. just wondering?
                              95 yj, fresh fuel injected 302, c-6, twin sticked 205, 3 linked high pinion d60 front, double trianulated 4 linked 14 bolt rear (all aluminum links) locked both ends, 4:56 gears, full hydro steering, high steer, 4 wheel discs, 16" 2.5 fox air shocks, 39.5" irok's. just finishing a full frame-up redo thanks to a great friend and one knowledgable(sp?) s.o.b casey cravens for without him this could not have been done in such a short time and done right!

LOOK OUT "WHITEY" HERE I COME!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X