buggy/auxillary heater

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• buggy/auxillary heater

As many of us have started a truck or truggy build with a stripped cab, often times most of the original dash/ducting/heater core and other associated pieces are gone. No big deal unless you like to do some winter wheelin. An easy way to add some heat is to use a rear seat heat unit from a 90-95 4runner. Other years of runners had the rear heat also, but these years used a all-in-one set up that packaged a small heater core, 2 spd blower, temp control, and ducting to route air. Simply run the two coolant lines, supply power to the blower and you have great heat. While it is small, it puts out a great amount of heat. It works out great, as you can face the rear of it forward to blow the heat at your feet when mounted btween the seats on the tunnel. I have friends running them now as the only heat in the rig(cj7,sami,2 toys, plus myself) and they love it. Another has added it as rear heat in a older cherokee and it heats really well. makes a great hand warmer in open rigs as well. Here are a few pics of one to show the coolant line location, heater core, heat control lever, and fan. Blower switch is center off/lo/hi

overall dim
    15"Lx8"Hx5"W

Wiring for fan:

Green wire(12ga) +
    yellow/green stripe -ground
    blk/wht - not used

Most pull-n-pays will sell the whole setup for $25.00, as a blower motor.

Hope this helps somebody. Happy winter wheelin!!
    Attached Files
    85 toyota ex cab a few goodies

Nice tech...

brad

5.0L | 435 | 203 | 300 | 4.10 | 39.5
    Buildup BACK underway...

sigpic

Comment

good info. im writing those specs on my garage wall for later reference. thanx
      my next rig will be on the trail before zuk 2.0 will

Comment

Thanks for the info! I may try it out.

Comment

if you mount it between the seats, you can modify the 4runner console to fit to gain some extra storage. Also forgot to mention that if you modify the outlet duct with a little plastic welding it can greatly expand the mounting possibilities. Once you hold one and look at it, you can see how easy it is to find a good place for it. The last truck we did was a gutted toy p/u,we were able to fit it on the cab side of the fire wall under the cage bars. The blower will suprise you with the amount of air it moves on high.

Comment

I've got the same one in the rear of my rig, out of an '88 'runner. The kid throws a blanket over herself and the heater and stays nice and toasty. Happy kids make for happy 'wheelin'.

Comment

when you call the junk yard what do you ask for??
              you'll never know if you dont try!!

Comment

Rear heat blower assembly.(best are 90-94) Be sure to pull it all together. P-N-P in hebron just considers it a blower motor and charges you as such. Depending where you get it, others may try to charge you for the heater core as well. If you pull it all together, and leave the covers on it, just looks like a big blower unit. out of sight out of mind kinda thing i guess. i figure even if they were to charge $50, still far cheaper than the aftermarket options out there.

Comment

one of my uncles good friends own a junk yard so im sure i can get a good deal on one..but where do you mount it and how do you mount it???

Comment

best place if you have the room is between the seats with the ducts blowing at your feet. The bottom of the unit is curved to mount on the tranny tunnel. Once you have one in your hands you'll see its pretty easy. I used some 1/2" id(5/8"od) soft copper tube wrapped in foam insulation and duct tape tucked tight to the body to plumb the coolant lines. Been that way for about a year or so and have not had any issues.

Comment

alright thanks man.. my heat blows really good and will run you out but im about to sell the whole body of it because i want to make an x-cab truck and dove the front and rear in..

Comment

Working...
                      X