JB welding plastic tank reliably?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JB welding plastic tank reliably?

I have a 2" wide slit that is on the side of the tank that really leaks badly. Wondering if sanding and preping will work with some JB weld? What are your experiences? Thanks, Scott
    sigpic

factory dodge?
    what does it fit
    For you guys who can't drive, I have owned a frame rack for several years. Prices are based on your skill and ability to wreck it....

Comment

drain it and plastic weld it.

there are also epoxies that are made to do what you are doing, specifically for fuel tanks i believe.

Comment

I used the fuel tank epoxy. It is resistant to gas and oils. It should last
        1988 Suzuki Samurai on propane
        FJ 40 axles (4.10)
        5.14 tcase
        36" TSL SX

Comment

It is on the Polaris RZRs. I had a log rip through the skid and tank. Went through 7 gallons in 5 minutes. Can gas tank epoxy be had at autozone or?
          sigpic

Comment

yep you can get at autozone. The epoxy for plastic tanks works great. Used it on the tank on my atv about 2 yrs ago and its still holding fine.
            85 toyota ex cab a few goodies

Comment

auto zone epoxy no good as it failed twice with major preping involved. who can weld plastic? polaris wants 570.00 for a fuel tank. I will weld up one from aluminum as a last resort if needed before I buy one from polaris.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by 94Dodge Truggy View Post
                auto zone epoxy no good as it failed twice with major preping involved. who can weld plastic? polaris wants 570.00 for a fuel tank. I will weld up one from aluminum as a last resort if needed before I buy one from polaris.
                I can and do repair plastic all the time. The first thing we need to do is find out what kind of materal it is. TPO. SMC. ect. ect. and then go from there. I can weld plastic and have both welding setups, air and airless but not all composite are repairable.

Comment

i used jb weld on my jeeps old tank, zero prep, and it lasted over 5 years, and 175,000 miles when i got rid of the jeep. as far as i know, it's still holding strong (i sold teh jeep 3 years ago).
                  zuk buggy.....it'll be a jeep eventually.

Comment

Working...
                  X