Dana 30 high or Low pinion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dana 30 high or Low pinion

I have a 91 YJ I'm wanting to replace the stock gears 3.07 with 4.10 I know I need a bigger carrier. The question i have is how do I tell if I have a high or low pinion.

Originally posted by Cribbetr View Post
    I have a 91 YJ I'm wanting to replace the stock gears 3.07 with 4.10 I know I need a bigger carrier. The question i have is how do I tell if I have a high or low pinion.
    WEll high pinion reffers to the pinion being on top on the axle center line. So High pinion is nicer to have since your driveshaft starts out high on the axle, farther away from the rocks and also lesser angles on the drive shaft.

Also, I think yours should have a low pinion from the factory. So an upgrade would be the high pinion but they mount differently since a XJ has coils in the front and your YJ has leaves.
    88 XJ - 5" lift - 35" BFG's - Bumpers - Rock Rails - Homebrewed OBA - Roof Rack - Tube Doors - Trimmed - Dented

87 XJ - D44 - Disco D30 - 235's - 231TC - Stock for now

Comment

91 YJ is High pinion 30

Comment

I think the Low-Pinions started with the TJs & XJs of the same year that they started making TJs. ('97?) Anything prior to that was a HP D30.

Comment

My bad, i guess i shouldn't trust quick searches on line.
          88 XJ - 5" lift - 35" BFG's - Bumpers - Rock Rails - Homebrewed OBA - Roof Rack - Tube Doors - Trimmed - Dented

87 XJ - D44 - Disco D30 - 235's - 231TC - Stock for now

Comment

Working...
          X