1986 toyota 4runner problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1986 toyota 4runner problems

when my buddy gets on his 4 runner pretty hard to clean the tires out it shifts to second or something but the shifter is still in low on the trans and transfer case i thought the linkage was bent or something but when he shuts it off and starts it back up its fine for a little while any ideas on what it may be ?

it is automatic and has 33 in boggers everything else is factory

Thanks for any help

trans is shifting into second...

I'm pretty sure they have fail safes in automatics with computer control to keep you from blowing the engine up. Even if you put it in low, if you hit crazy high redline rpms, it will still shift to second to keep the rods from coming out the bottom of the motor.

Comment

far as I know that's normal. http://www.allpar.com/mopar/shift-kits.html

Comment

ok appericate the help. so could we unplug all the connections on the trans or will it screw it up ? it shifts by linkage so i dont know what it would hurt but i dont mess with toyotas much

Comment

A lot of automatics will shift into 2nd even if you have the shifter in 1st. My '03 Chevy 2500HD with the electronically controlled 4L80E will do this even at part throttle once you get to a certain speed, and my '90 K5 Blazer with a fully hydraulic 700r4 will shift to 2nd if you hit redline.

It's a fail safe to keep you from over-revving the engine. They can prevent this when you are using the throttle by a simple rev limiter or governor on the engine, but if you do something like shift to 1st and go down a steep grade the wheel speed could cause the engine to over speed.

Comment

Working...
          X