• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lift laws

I thought this would be some very good info to have

http://www.liftlaws.com/ohio_lift_laws.htm
    http://www.liftlaws.com/kentucky_lift_laws.htm
    http://www.liftlaws.com/indiana_lift_laws.htm
    91 fj 80 on 37 Nitto Muds with a 10k winch. Cage and sliders coming soon.

It is a great format, but the technical data is incorrect. There are bumper height restrictions in Ohio that this site does not reference.
    1988 Suzuki Samurai on propane
    FJ 40 axles (4.10)
    5.14 tcase
    36" TSL SX

Comment

Hmmmm. I got on there because Fourwheeler is doing a lift law segment and I saw that they were referencing that site. Maybe the rules have changed. Wilson or Sarge?
      91 fj 80 on 37 Nitto Muds with a 10k winch. Cage and sliders coming soon.

Comment

Ohio is 22" bumper/frame height for "passenger" vehicles. "All other" vehicles go by GVWR, giving frame heights from 24-31". OAC 4501-43-04

The grey area is, what constitues a passenger vehicle, and what constitutes "other?"

ORC 4513.021 (2) says a “'Multipurpose passenger vehicle' means a motor vehicle ... constructed either on a truck chassis or with special features for occasional off-road operation."

So no doubt my XJ is "multipurpose." But is "multipurpose passenger" still "passenger," or is it "other?"

And if it's not "other," what is? The scale is from under 4500# to 10k, so we're not talking about heavy equipment here. My little unibody is almost 5k, for reference.

Hard to say. Badly written law.

Robert
        DIRTY DEEDS, DONE DIRT CHEAP
        Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stranger

Comment

Originally posted by WrenchMonkey View Post
          Ohio is 22" bumper/frame height for "passenger" vehicles. "All other" vehicles go by GVWR, giving frame heights from 24-31". OAC 4501-43-04

The grey area is, what constitues a passenger vehicle, and what constitutes "other?"

ORC 4513.021 (2) says a “'Multipurpose passenger vehicle' means a motor vehicle ... constructed either on a truck chassis or with special features for occasional off-road operation."

So no doubt my XJ is "multipurpose." But is "multipurpose passenger" still "passenger," or is it "other?"

And if it's not "other," what is? The scale is from under 4500# to 10k, so we're not talking about heavy equipment here. My little unibody is almost 5k, for reference.

Hard to say. Badly written law.

Robert

Everything with NON-COM plates is considered passenger car/truck by the title office.

Comment

Originally posted by KennyTJ View Post
            Everything with NON-COM plates is considered passenger car/truck by the title office.
            I can't say you're wrong, but (A) That'd be a really arbitrary (dumb) way to determine allowed lift. A Jeep used to deliver pizzas can be 5-7" taller than one that just fetches them?

And (B) I'll check, but I bet my stock F250 is way over 22" frame height. It'd be a real kick in the teeth to get a lift ticket on a stock rig...

Of course, just because it's arbitrary or unfair doesn't mean it's not the law, so like I said, I can't say you're wrong.

But it is really unclear, and either way, it's poorly written.

Robert

Edit: For what it's worth, the BMV's website lists a $34.50 fee for "Passenger," $49.50 for for "Light Non-Comm" and $84.50 for "Heavy Non-Comm."

I could (and would!) argue that if I'm paying for more than passenger plates, I've got more than a passenger vehicle...
            Last edited by WrenchMonkey; 08-08-2010, 09:49 PM.
            DIRTY DEEDS, DONE DIRT CHEAP
            Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stranger

Comment

Goes by the rated GVW. It is placarded on the vehicle.
              1988 Suzuki Samurai on propane
              FJ 40 axles (4.10)
              5.14 tcase
              36" TSL SX

Comment

Originally posted by WrenchMonkey View Post
                I can't say you're wrong, but (A) That'd be a really arbitrary (dumb) way to determine allowed lift. A Jeep used to deliver pizzas can be 5-7" taller than one that just fetches them?

And (B) I'll check, but I bet my stock F250 is way over 22" frame height. It'd be a real kick in the teeth to get a lift ticket on a stock rig...

Of course, just because it's arbitrary or unfair doesn't mean it's not the law, so like I said, I can't say you're wrong.

But it is really unclear, and either way, it's poorly written.

Robert

Edit: For what it's worth, the BMV's website lists a $34.50 fee for "Passenger," $49.50 for for "Light Non-Comm" and $84.50 for "Heavy Non-Comm."

I could (and would!) argue that if I'm paying for more than passenger plates, I've got more than a passenger vehicle...
                Yep, I think it's pretty stupid as well, and I'm not proclaiming that's what the cops use to pull people over... That is what I have had personal experiance with at the title office is all.

Yep, it's all double talk and contradiction in the Ohio Revised Code... if it was black and white we would not need Lawyers!!!!

Comment

Great Post! It is interesting how the law is interperated...... Defenitly leaves you room to get a ticket thrown out in front of the judge.
                  The Hummer Club Inc.
                  Director - Events Planning/Ambassador Program
                  Eric@TheHummerClubInc.com
                  www.thehummerclubinc.com

Comment

Working...
                  X