Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leaf spring woes...

Edit: Warning! Old post alert!
    I'm just bringing this back up to explain why this didn't work...

Well, the XJ is officially on injured-reserve.

The rear leaves have been sagging for years. I've been running a set of HiJacker air shocks to get back about 2" of lost lift.

They actually worked really well: as the air moved from one shock to the other, they would actually make the rig flex more than it normally would. And I've been amazed at how well they've held up, 18 months and at least a dozen wheeling trips.

Til Saturday.

Now they just won't hold air. It's slow enough that I can't track down the leak, but they'll bleed off 80psi to nothing in a half hour.

Without em, my springs are almost completely flat, even a little S shaped. And losing those 2" is enough to wreck havoc on my driveshaft angles. That's how I blew a ujoint on the maiden voyage with the new engine.

Eventually, I'm gonna need leaf packs, obviously. In the meantime, though, there's something I've wondered about for years, and this is a golden opportunity to try it.

I'm gonna do blocks.
    Last edited by WrenchMonkey; 05-22-2014, 06:19 PM.
    DIRTY DEEDS, DONE DIRT CHEAP
    Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stranger

Yeah, I know, blocks suck. The peril, as everyone knows, is axlewrap.

But I figure, if I make the block out of 2x2 or 2x3 box tube, I can make it as long as I want.
    And if I make it, say, 24" long, it'll run out under the front spring hanger, like an old Lakewood traction bar.

Maybe put a rubber bumper on the top, and it should eliminate the axle wrap. At first glance, it looks like I'll lose that 2" of ground clearance, but if I taper the box tube, it really won't hang any lower than a properly arched spring would.

I may lose a little flex. Droop shouldn't be affected at all, but it could increase the compression spring rate. I could hit the bumpstops pretty easily before, so I don't think a little stiffer would be too bad.

Comment

There's probably a dozen reasons nobody has done this, and a dozen more why it won't work like I want.

But I've really got nothing to lose. For one, I just can't drive the XJ like it is. With the angles that far off, the driveline vibes are just awful. I know I'll kill another ujoint before long. Two, I really don't have the cash for a decent pair of leaf packs right now. And with three different club meetings in the next seven days, "right now" is the timeframe I have to work with. Three, what's the worst that can happen? I could kill the leaves I've got, that are already way past retirement age anyway.

But most importantly, it's something I've always wondered about trying. This is as good an opportunity as I'm likely to see. I figure what the hell, worth a shot.

A WrenchMonkey's greatest joy is the flinging of poo, and his ultimate goal is simply to see what sticks!

Wish me luck!
      Robert

(Ooo, look, post #666... That's some sorta sign...)

Comment

Or add two more leaves to your existing pack... I took an XJ main and second leaf and added them to my pack...

I cut the eyes off the mains and put the leaves in the pack and made some unique clamps to allow it to droop but control body roll.

Since I'm on 1 tons I captured 3 leaves with my clamp at the back... for you probably 2(the two mains) would be better for flex and just as strong.

By adding the two springs, it helped to gain a small amount of arch back, and it also adds some load carrying capacity. Depending on how you clamp them together, it will droop just as well as before or better or worse... whatever you want. I clamped the hell out of my leaves because I've got a locker and could care less if I lift a wheel... it's dead stable and feels great.

Here is the way I clamped the packs at the back:

I don't have an official "before" picture, but here is one where you can see how badly it was sagging a week or two before I fixed it:

This was where it sat AFTER adding the two extra leaves:

I was in the same boat as you(springs S shaped and sagging), and think this will work for quite a while.

All you really need are some 5/16 allen head bolts(and nuts) to replace your center pin, and some kind of clamps to replace the old ones. If you're careful, you could try reusing them, or you can go to a spring shop and get the hammer-on style clamps that I used. The "kit" for spring clamps that I got was from Autozone... you'll need either 2 kits(for the extra plates), or some 3/16" plate to make your own.... Basically I welded the lower plate to the U-bolt looking piece... then the other one gets sandwiched with nuts around the top leaf.

Here are the hammer-on style clamps I used... I put one each on the other side of the packs(my ghetto homemade clamp at the back, hammer on at the front).

Those are stupid cheap... should be no more than like $6 each.

Note, on my TJ the XJ leaves are swapped around backwards, so the long side is the front and the short side is the back when I refer to them up there.

Comment

As I recall you are at 5.5 inches in the rear? From the little bit of research I did on Naxja, an Xj Mj bastard pack will give you a healthy 5.5 inches. This along with my current 2 inch shackles and shackle relocation brackets are my ultimate goal.
          91 fj 80 on 37 Nitto Muds with a 10k winch. Cage and sliders coming soon.

Comment

Originally posted by itbrokeagain View Post
            As I recall you are at 5.5 inches in the rear? From the little bit of research I did on Naxja, an Xj Mj bastard pack will give you a healthy 5.5 inches. This along with my current 2 inch shackles and shackle relocation brackets are my ultimate goal.
            You know that I have these on a TJ right?

As far as stock TJ coils vs XJ springs... basically "stock" XJ springs will give you about 4" of lift over stock(axle vs frame heights).

I am about 5.5" over stock using basically stock but beefed up XJ springs.

Comment

Sorry for the confusion. That was my solution for Robert.
              91 fj 80 on 37 Nitto Muds with a 10k winch. Cage and sliders coming soon.

Comment

Thanks guys...

I know lots of guys have built packs like that, and ended up very happy for very little money. But there are SO many variables (each leaf's length, arc, springrate, and age) that it always takes a lot of trial and error to dial in both the ride, and the ride height, you're after.

Frankly, I really want something quick and easy, and get it back on the road. The thing was in the garage all spring, and the next 30-60 days are the very best time of year to dd an open jeep. To say nothing of the three different club meeting I'm gonna try to make in the next six days!

Besides, I've always wanted to try the traction bar, just to see how/if it'll work.

Robert

Comment

A guy in our club uses what sounds like the same idea on his 1-ton SOA YJ.

You can see how long the block/bar thingy is in the front, and it's the same length towards the rear. With being this long it has almost zero uptravel and the thing rides like a gut wagon (he has really stiff springs on the front also). I guess it accomplishes his goal of eliminating axle wrap as he was killing rear u-joints.

Comment

Chevy springs & 2nd XJ main springs will fix you right up.
                    The block idea doesn't sound like it'd be a nice ride at all & I'm usually open to ANY type of idea...

Comment

Well, sure Brad, if you run a solid bar from springmount-to-springmount, I imagine it will limit uptravel, and ride like it's sitting, well, on a solid bar. (Pic didn't work for me, though.)

I do expect that running my bar on just the front half will still stiffen up the ride a bit, but my springs are so old and soft I don't think it'll be too bad.

Even if it is horrible, it'll still buy me enough time to sort out a more traditional replacement.

I got the bars made up at work tonight, and I hope to get em installed in the morning.

We'll see!

Robert

Comment

Bars are in, test drive was good, taking it to work!

Wish me luck!

Robert

Comment

or go to greg hauck in fayettville and tell him you need an add a leaf kit for rear of a half ton chev truck..take out a similar length leaf from your pack and add the add a leaf and rock on...i used to run blocks when wheelin...seen a guy toss a complete rear axle housing and all out the back on the side of a hill...its not a fun trip out...dont run blocks..
                          S10 with a few air shocks..

Comment

Originally posted by humpy View Post
                            seen a guy toss a complete rear axle housing and all out the back on the side of a hill...its not a fun trip out...dont run blocks..
                            Oh, I've heard plenty of horror stories about leaf blocks.

Do you know if this guy broke the spring, or just spit out the block?

I don't think either is as likely with my version, but we'll see...

Robert

Comment

So here's what I came up with:

2x2 box, .250 wall, about 24" long. 30* cut at the leading edge, 45* at the other.

On the topside, there's 1/2" hole accept the springs' center pin, and a 1/4" hole at the front to mount the rubber snubber.

On the bottom, I drilled and tapped a 5/16" hole, and used a set screw to position the shim, like so:

Loosely assembled, pardon the BigRock mud:

In that pic you can kinda see how I redrilled the springplate to move the axle back about 1.5", here's a better one:

Anyway, with weight on it:

And clamped down:

I should have taken a nice nice finished profile pic, but I didn't.
                              I was running out of time to get to work, so I threw the wheels on and test drove it around the block.

Comment

Working...
                              X