No announcement yet.

Newbie Front Axle question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The problem I've experienced with having my Jeeps as a daily driver are related to problems like wobble from lost wheel weights, bent/wore out steering/etc in the front end. A harder wheeling trip really takes a toll on "stock" steering components with big tires; especially if you didn't even trailer it there - 25 mpg all the way back from Haspin is a drag, lol.

If you're gonna wheel your daily driver, be sure you have a backup car if you break something major or roll your jeep. I've had & seen my fair share of stuff break that "cant" be fixed in time for work the next day. Little stuff like broken u-joints can lead to other stuff breaking when the parts whip around.

Wheeling anything & worrying about paying labor (and having someone available to do labor) & wheeling is nt a good combination in my opinion. Especially if it is your daily driver; are you gonna be able to find a shop open on Sunday (cause you need it for work Monday) to work on a filthy jeep after you broke it on Saturday?

Comment

Originally posted by jfiscus View Post
      are you gonna be able to find a shop open on Sunday (cause you need it for work Monday) to work on a filthy jeep after you broke it on Saturday?
      Yea, I'm afraid the owner will laugh hysterically and hang up on me when I call in that situation..
      I want to be the reason you look down at your phone and smile........then walk into a pole.

Comment

Originally posted by tjjeepjeep View Post
        Yea, I'm afraid the owner will laugh hysterically and hang up on me when I call in that situation..
        Another point I want to note is that you never want to work on a jeep right after you wheel it cause that's when it's most filthy. If you dont have apressure washer already; start looking around for one cause you're gonna need it. I have to wear goggles most of the time under mine cause all the dirt never comes off the jeep until you need to hit something with a hammer; then it's manetically attracted to your eyes.

Comment

After years of wrenching on a muddy rig your eyes will develop another layer of protection on em and all will be good.
          sigpic

Comment

i hate working on a dirty rig...

but i also don't like pressure washing a rig. it's not good for those delicate parts, wheel seals, pinion seals, etc...

i use an old fashion gardenhose and a bucket of soap and water. that way, while washing it by hand, i am inspecting it, and seeing other problems i might look past if i were just blasting it with 2500 psi of water.

Comment

i read in the back of a mag. a while back about putting a lawn sprinkler under your rig and letting it run for a while to get the mud off the bottom. never tried it but it sounds kinda interesting. jfiscus is right to, its seems no matter how well you clean it your still gonna get crap in your eyes.
              if you can't fit it....FORCE IT!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Guess I need to chime in, since I'm the one that drives it daily. ;) And has the offroad addiction. Crap, I think I just said it's my fault....:(

DD and work is 20 miles one way, half of it highway. But you're right, Sarge (you can quote me that I said that too ;) ). It's fun to drive and can't imagine driving anything else. (Ain't nothing better than driving with the windows out when it's raining, the looks people give you are priceless.)

The draw of a trail rig is just that. I break it, and I'm not pushed to fix it while wondering about how I'm getting to work each day. Other thing to toss into the discussion is, for arguments sake, lets say we pay labor for anything that breaks (ok maybe not everything but humor me). Would that change the wheel the DD idea for anyone? Downside is that I'd need a truck to get it to the trail.

Ya'll have the experience and have lived these decisions. So bring on the feedback.
                I could flat out not afford to take my Heep across the street if I had to pay for repairs !!!! with that being said I would then find a cheap DD like an old XJ or rice burner with 1/2 a million miles on it and use it only for a back up DD. I sometime take it for granted that I can do all of my own repairs and have a pile of spare junk stashed around the garage.

Comment

History of my CJ-7

Wow lots of great information given out!

My Jeep was a stocker at first. I wheeled it about 2 mopnths and got a locker for the rear. You would be amazed where this alone can get you through. I then put a EZ locker up front Stage 1 and wheeled it till I did my Scout Dana 44 swap on 35's Stage 2. My next step was 3/4 chevy 44 with Corporate 14 bolt in the rear. Both Locked and loaded with 35's.Stage 3 Then I went full bore with the current setup of 60 up front and 14 bolt rear on 40" total rig rebuild. Stage 4

First Stage was about $2500 ( sold for $1800)
                  Second stage $1500 (sold for $2500)
                  Third stage $2000 (sold for $2000)
                  4th stage $6500 (current setup)
                  total $11500-$7500 for a difference of $4000 spent over 10 years or so

All these stages incorporated tires, rims gears and lockers for the most part.

Point is, I have been here and done that! My opinion is Build it once and only once but after some experience wheelin it while.

Or do what sarge said and not have all the other expenses in between like I did.

Looking back on it though...it did teach me a lot of the skills I posses today in doing all those different swaps and buildups
                  sigpic

Keep them on all 4's

Comment

I do not think it is a good idea to pay someone to work on your jeep if you are going to wheel it hard.

Reason why is that you do not know how it was built. You most likely not know how to fixed it if it brakes out on the trail. That means someone else is going to have to fix it for you so you can get home. I know there are a few people that have rigs built for them b/c of not haveing time to build it them selfs but for a new wheeler they should try to do there mods or get a buddy to help.(there are lots of people on here that would help out just for a cold drink and a smile)

As for what and how to build you jeep. I would go with sarge and jet. Put a bigger rear axle(8.8, 9in :( dana 44) and with the lift and tires you have you will be able to go a lot of places. Add lockers and 34-36in tires and you will be able to go most places.

Comment

Thanks guys for all the great information. Now Lisa and I need to decide what route we want to go. One good thing is I have done quite a bit of mechanic work on other cars just not the jeep, so I might be asking questions if i do work on it when it breaks.
                      Friendship is like peeing your pants, everyone can see it,
                      But only you can feel the true warmth.

Comment

Don't touch the TJ I found you 2 a new rig on craigslist.......

http://cincinnati.craigslist.org/car/432814845.html

It looks like the bastard child of the Truggy!

if i am not currently offending you, i will be shortly.

Comment

Originally posted by JET455 View Post

That's durn scary... I was toying with this one, personally. But think I'm leaning more towards keeping mine.

http://cincinnati.craigslist.org/car/414150320.html
                          I want to be the reason you look down at your phone and smile........then walk into a pole.

Comment

That's durn scary... I was toying with this one, personally. But think I'm leaning more towards keeping mine.

http://cincinnati.craigslist.org/car/414150320.html

Well stay away from that one I know it and not worth it at all!! 4 banger, sits to high, unstable.

if i am not currently offending you, i will be shortly.

Comment

the first one is nice, minus the body...

Comment

Originally posted by JET455 View Post

I have never seen anything uglier, even at Haspin!

Comment

Working...
                                X