6 speed grind

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 6 speed grind

anyone familiar with 2005 jeep wrangler 6 speeds? mine has reverse grinding and hard to even engage as well. what have you heard on them? thanks, scott
    sigpic

For starters try replacing the fluid in it with the OEM specified stuff.

It sounds like the reverse synchro is worn.

FWIW nearly no other transmissions have a synchronized reverse gear... including my NV3550(5 speed).

Try pushing the clutch in and going into first gear(or actually ANY forward gear) then straight to reverse... this will align the transmission mainshaft and input shaft gears so that it meshes smoothly going into reverse.

Basically... until you push the clutch, the input shaft is spinning... when you DO push the clutch in it will either remain spinning slowly or stop... probably with the reverse gear and the gear it engages with NOT being aligned with each other. The synchro is SUPPOSED to help engage the gears(despite not being perfectly aligned or perfectly RPM matched), but if it is worn, it will not do what it's supposed to and you'll get grinding going into gear.

Try that, if it still happens, then you probably have a bent reverse shift fork or shift rail. I just read that this was a common problem on early NSG370s if you put it into reverse while still rolling forward.

By habit I nearly always go into 5th before reverse and I never grind going in despite not being synchronized.

Note: some of those terms/descriptions might not be 100% correct, in my head I know what I'm talking about but I don't rebuild transmissions... just know the general workings of them.

Comment

I like to hit 5th and reverse while in a pickle to rock out of a situation. This trans was hurt before I began abusing it. ;)
      sigpic

Comment

Working...
      X