BB's to balance with

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BB's to balance with

I have seen a couple people mention using BB's to balance wheels and tires with. How much success has anybody had with this method ? How many BB's did you use per tire?

I'm running 35" bais ply buckshots and i'm just trying to get them to run a little smoother.

thanks for any input you might have...
    Chris
    Last edited by gothodgie; 09-30-2010, 10:20 PM. Reason: spelling
    sigpic
    chris hodges
    96 fzj80 3x locked, 4"lift, 37s, homebrew sliders and bumpers,a work in progress
    71 fj55, SOA, locked...The jungle bus... retired

I used about 10 oz of airsoft pellets in my 39.5 TSL's. It seemed to help but with the beadlocks and the flat spots from sitting around, it was kind of hard to tell. I heard that BB's could deteriorate the inside of the tire. That's why I used airsoft pellets.

Comment

Lots of info on Pirate. http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=516446

Comment

I used 10oz. of air soft pellets in my 36" Iroks with DIY bead locks and had it on the highway a few times at 70ish ..... best guess ! and it was perfect. My my son has them in a set of 33's and they seem to be balanced perfect.

Comment

Originally posted by gothodgie View Post
          I have seen a couple people mention using BB's to balance wheels and tires with. How much success has anybody had with this method ? How many BB's did you use per tire?

I'm running 35" basis ply buckshots and i'm just trying to get them to run a little smoother.

thanks for any input you might have...
          Chris
          I'm a Manager for TD in Lawrenceburg and can balance them for you if your ever in the area. Ask for Joe. If a Red TJ on 35's is in the lot I'm there :)
          06 TJ, 8.8 Aussied, 4.88's and 35" KM2's

Comment

Originally posted by kb9qdi View Post
            I'm a Manager for TD in Lawrenceburg and can balance them for you if your ever in the area. Ask for Joe. If a Red TJ on 35's is in the lot I'm there :)
            thanks for the offer, but i am kinda on the other side of the world from ya. Will see what happens. . I am gonna try and groove them to, if i can come up with a tire groover. i think that might help some too. I have had bias TSL's in the past and never really bothered me

Haven't really driven that far on them yet, so i don't think they got warm enough to smooth them out. I'm gonna swap front to back and see if that makes a difference. It has been sitting on jack stands while i have been wrenchin on it so i think the flat spots are not to bad. Just trying to get a little better road manners before the Ultimate Adventure trail ride.
            sigpic
            chris hodges
            96 fzj80 3x locked, 4"lift, 37s, homebrew sliders and bumpers,a work in progress

Comment

Try this for info.

http://www.innovativebalancing.com/index.html

Comment

Well, I have Bias 36" SX's on beadlocks. I put 13oz. of BB's in each tire, as per the Innovative Ballancing website, and I can only run 35mph without horrible bouncing, and that is with 20psi in them. I can sneak up to 40mph after the Bias ply tires heat up, but that is it!

Now it could be the "heavy ars" SX's won't ballance no matter what!! or the nasty huge tread lugs may be making them bounce, but I am not going to waste the time and effort again. I run 35" BFG ATs on the road now.

They do make that nice whirlling sound every time you come to a stop!

Comment

I used two containers of the .2 gram airsoft pellets in mine two years ago. I took 5 12 oz beer/pop cans, cut the top off and divided it equally between them. Dumped one can in each tire and had great luck. I am running 38 TSLs and H1 so I figured they would be more out of balance than your typical rim and tire, so there is probably more weight then necessary. It came out to around 14 ozs per tire.

Just last night I had to take one apart to get it patched and the pellets and all looked great. I've also never had any balancing issues with them.
                  1994 YJ, 4.0, 5 speed.

*2006 Dodge 2500 Cummins, 4x4 Auto,Quad cab, LongBed, Tekonsha Prodigy(Tow Rig)

Comment

Thanks to everybody for all the info... I will be picking up some Airsoft pellets to use... I'll post up after i get them in and let everyone know how they worked out for me...

thanks again
                    Chris
                    sigpic
                    chris hodges

Comment

I run BB's in my 35" km2's

Ive had them in there almost a year and broke the tires down a few days ago to change wheels, there is no rust, or any other issues inside the wheel and the bb's still look brand new.

i ran them with and without beadlocks. Did MUCH better without due to the extra 25pounds of steel on the outte rlip of the beadlock. I balanced the tires to within a few ounces of being good and the bb's took care of the rest.

Without the beadlocks 8ounces gave me little vibes at all.
                      www.offroadohio.com
                      www.facebook.com/offroadohio1
                      www.youtube.com/offroadohio1
                      www.photobucket.com/offroadohio

Comment

Well i swapped front to back today and it got a little better. The tires that were on front at first were chewed up a little from the PO so that was probably some of the problem. The 2 that are on the front now are in better shape. Got up to 50mph tonight and wasn't to bad for some old bais ply hunks of rubber.

sigpic
                        chris hodges

Comment

Cool beans... I have I think 14 or 15oz of steel BBs inside my 40" LTBs and I can go 70mph no problem I've got a weird side to side shimmy of the entire Jeep at some funny speeds that come and go, but I think that is the rear leaf springs.

Comment

I have about 12oz of .22 airsoft in my 38's with beadlock and have no problems with them. Chirs, I do have a small food scale to weight them out if you need to use it.

Comment

I can't remember for sure but have around 14 oz. regular BB's in each of my 39.5 TSL's. I've had the Blazer up to at least 50-55 mph and even at trail pressures (single digits) there are no bad vibrations.

I ran a smaller amount in a pair of 33" Trxus MT's on my daily driven tow rig for a couple of years and when the tires were worn out I pulled them off and the BB's and inside of the tires looked the exact same as when I installed them.

Comment

Working...
                              X