D30

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• D30

I have a 2000 TJ with a 8.8 rearend that I'm going to put a lockright in. Should/can I do the same to the front D30? Its still a daily driver for now. I've heard both sides of the issue. Any advice will help
    If you don't want it broke, don't let me drive it....

Sure you can do it, but should you is based entirely on wheel, engine and shoe size. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone trying to get into wheeling. Save for the right axle and build that to your desired abuility. Even a rockwell with the wrong application of throttle will break. Personnaly I would never spend upgrade money on anything less then a D60.

However, I have a very light foot and if a used locker showed up at my door cheap it would get installed.

Comment

I would not lock-right the front of a daily driver that does not have selectable hubs.
      1988 Suzuki Samurai on propane
      FJ 40 axles (4.10)
      5.14 tcase
      36" TSL SX

Comment

Do you have power steering??????? That was my mistake, someday I will put it on.

Comment

I have power steering and I'm running 33s. Just trying to get as far as I can offroad. Should I even lock the rear?

Comment

Locking the rear is very manageable for a daily driver. When I first got my YJ, it had lock-rights front and rear. Having the rear locked up was fine; it just reminded you that it was there sometimes.
            The front, however, could become a handful on snow packed roads when I tried to use 4wd. With the YJ disco axle, 2wd was not noticeable. You have no lock-outs on the hubs and a non disconect axle; you will notice the locker in the front and it could throw you where you don't want to be on the road. Off-road, it would be great though.
            1988 Suzuki Samurai on propane
            FJ 40 axles (4.10)
            5.14 tcase
            36" TSL SX

Comment

Originally posted by Hope Springs Hauler View Post
              Locking the rear is very manageable for a daily driver. When I first got my YJ, it had lock-rights front and rear. Having the rear locked up was fine; it just reminded you that it was there sometimes.
              The front, however, could become a handful on snow packed roads when I tried to use 4wd. With the YJ disco axle, 2wd was not noticeable. You have no lock-outs on the hubs and a non disconect axle; you will notice the locker in the front and it could throw you where you don't want to be on the road. Off-road, it would be great though.
              In 2wd in the TJ you will not even notice the front locker at all. I can give the a hundred jeep owners that have this set-up. The locker in the rear does get noisy and sucks in 2wd. I would lock the front and leave the 8.8 alone or better yet save for an OX or ARB for the rear so you can disco it on the road.

If you don't believe me call Terry @ TKH and he'll suggest the same thing, and give you the rundown on TJ's

Comment

just weld it all up and replace parts as needed

i do agree save your money and get something selectable or you will really start to not enjoy your jeep for street use.
                One of these days Zuk 2.0

Comment

I like my axle shafts too much to weld them solid. Thanks for the suggestion though

Comment

the only reall differance the front locker will make on the street is when in 4wd. its going to be a PITa to steer in snow. The rear is affected in the snow/slick aswell but aside from some noise you wotn notice it much either
                    www.offroadohio.com
                    www.facebook.com/offroadohio1
                    www.youtube.com/offroadohio1
                    www.photobucket.com/offroadohio

Comment

That was my though too, but wanted more input. I really want the front locked but don't want to switch the front out too just yet

Comment

You won't be welding the axle shafts just the spider gears and carrier.

For offroad I would rather have a front locker for a DD
                        88 XJ - 5" lift - 35" BFG's - Bumpers - Rock Rails - Homebrewed OBA - Roof Rack - Tube Doors - Trimmed - Dented

87 XJ - D44 - Disco D30 - 235's - 231TC - Stock for now

Comment

I'm running a 8.8 with 4.88's /Aussie and welded tubes combo and a open D30 on 35's and love it. It does remind you from time to time its there with the normal locker clunk and ratchet but its no biggie to me. It's no worse in the snow in 2wd than driving a RWD Car/Truck. Once you engage it into 4WH it's great, no problems at Hi-way speeds and very stable. I love it. Off Road it does very well and is way more capable in low than the limited slip/open carrier ever thought of ever being off road.

A good friend of mine has the same set up on a DD only with 3.73's and 33's but his D30 has an Aussie in it and he hates it in the snow for a DD. It's a handfull to drive on the road in 4WH and has broken stock shafts twice already off road. His 8.8 is a LSD and he'd rather have it like mine and open in the front. Driving it in 2WD in the snow with the LSD is'nt a biggie but if 4WH is needed hang on at Hi-Way speeds!

If I had the money mine would have an OX or ARB for sure because I do miss driving it open on the street but you learn real quick how to drive with a lunchbox and it becomes normal to you real quick. It's a cheap option and a great traction adder for the DD wheeler like myself. Good Luck!
                          Last edited by kb9qdi; 12-20-2010, 10:05 PM.
                          06 TJ, 8.8 Aussied, 4.88's and 35" KM2's

Comment

Thanks, that was the info I needed. I was looking for someone with a similar set up. Ill try the open front first and save for the OX locker

Comment

I have 99 TJ with a Yukon Spartan Locker in the front and it is no problem in the snow. It has never done anything on the road that would hurt its driveability other than the slight clicking I hear when turning into a parking spot or out of the driveway.

They act better with the bigger tires you run. I have ran mine on 33's and 35's and I could tell that it was better mannered with the 35's

Comment

Working...
                              X