Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

how do i set up my radiator in the rear of my buggy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how do i set up my radiator in the rear of my buggy?

how do i set up my radiator in the rear of my buggy? Do I got to get a different water pump? Humpy had it in the rear, but he had problems with it. He said when he climbed hills it kept loosing prime and cavitating. Anyone have any info?
    Jeeps are cute. Barbe drives one.

The ones I've seen did not have an additional pump but did have high flow pumps. Burping all the air out should fix the cavitation. Put the front end into a deep ditch and start bleeding air. As soon as you think you have all the air out your only half way there. As I recall the expansion tank location is one of banes of the problem.

Comment

I had a standard pump on mine and had no problems at all . You just have to make sure the cap is the highest part of the cooling system. Also make sure that you keep the hoses in the correct flow direction ( upper hose to top and lower hose to bottom ) . I ran pipe along the frame rail with rubber lines at each end. This set up with a Taurus2 speed fan kept my 350 SBC cool even in the hottest conditions.

Comment

Thank you guys for the info.

Comment

Sarge is rite on! took me awhile bleed all air out though
          SMITH BUILT PERIOD

Comment

Originally posted by sarge View Post
            I had a standard pump on mine and had no problems at all . You just have to make sure the cap is the highest part of the cooling system. Also make sure that you keep the hoses in the correct flow direction ( upper hose to top and lower hose to bottom ) . I ran pipe along the frame rail with rubber lines at each end. This set up with a Taurus2 speed fan kept my 350 SBC cool even in the hottest conditions.
            sbc pump must be much better than a yota pump...i had all these exactly as you say...the cap was prob 6-8 inches higher than valve cover of motor...system worked great till i started shootin hills...had no t stat in it... a yota water pump is much smaller than a sbc pump...

do you think an electric inline pusher pump would help keep the original pump primed??
            S10 with a few air shocks..

Comment

Originally posted by humpy View Post
              sbc pump must be much better than a yota pump...i had all these exactly as you say...the cap was prob 6-8 inches higher than valve cover of motor...system worked great till i started shootin hills...had no t stat in it... a yota water pump is much smaller than a sbc pump...

do you think an electric inline pusher pump would help keep the original pump primed??
              having no t stat in it will cause an issue also if you dont run at least a restriction plate to slow the coolant down. with no t stat the coolant will run through the radiator faster than it has time to cool. if you want to run without one gut the insides and leave the t stat housing as a restriction
              One of these days Zuk 2.0

Comment

i agree with that but it wont cause it to suck air in it and cavitate will it?? cause i tried it both ways...restrictor and none

Comment

Originally posted by humpy View Post
                  i agree with that but it wont cause it to suck air in it and cavitate will it?? cause i tried it both ways...restrictor and none
                  nope wouldnt do that
                  One of these days Zuk 2.0

Comment

my single seater has tracker motor and it took alot of bleeding air out out system. once I got air out it stays 180. filler neck maybe 10" higher than top motor
                    SMITH BUILT PERIOD

Comment

Im gonna put in the rear next week, so we'll give it a shot. Im running a gutted thermstat.

Comment

maybe twistedzuki is onto somethin rogi....raise that dude up higher that i had it....maybe thats the problem..

Comment

Working...
                        X