Hydro steering on a yota

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hydro steering on a yota

Just got a 86 toyota and want to link the front and rear for more flex. Thinking hydro steering on the front is going to be the way to go. Never having messed with a hydro system I am clueless as to what I need/want for th system.

Gonna keep the stock yota axle for now. Only going to be running 35's at the largest.

Cylinder is needed but what length stroke?
    Orbital valve. What do I need/want for this?

Thanks
    JT
    JT Jones

83 Toyota - beater
    87 Toyota Truggy

try trail-gear, lowrangeoffroad, 4xinnovations, I know trail gear offera a full hydro and assist for toys. You can get it cheaper from lowrange and its still from TG. psc offers hydro also.and i'm sure ther are more.

Comment

Thanks for the info. I'll definitely check them out.
      JT Jones

83 Toyota - beater
      87 Toyota Truggy

Comment

Check out the Hydro Steering Bible on Pirate... it's good stuff:

http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billav...ing/index.html

If you can figure out your needs and how you want it to handle(turns lock to lock, etc), you can choose parts that fit your needs and save big money over any kinds of kits.

www.surpluscenter.com has cheap hydraulic rams that lots of trail-only guys commonly run without issue.

If it is NEVER driven on the street, then I would modify your stock pump, buy an orbital from PSC or somebody(quality orbitals are not that expensive compared to cheaper ones), and a Surplus Center ram. If you drive it on the street more than 25mph, then I'd spring for a good double ended ram from PSC with heims so there isn't as much/any slop in the steering.

Comment

You can also buy dual action cylinders from surplus center. http://www.surpluscenter.com/item.as...name=hydraulic
          Willys buggy 4.3, 350 trans, toy axles, linked suspension, air shocks

Comment

yeah double ended rams are cool but do not react as fast as single ended if u plan on hitting anything at wot steering mite be to slo with double,
            SMITH BUILT PERIOD

Comment

Cool. Thanks for all the info. I'll be piecing it together here shortly. Think the rear is getting linked asap though.

Truck is off road only, so a little slop won't kill me.
              JT Jones

83 Toyota - beater
              87 Toyota Truggy

Comment

Originally posted by twiztedzuki View Post
                yeah double ended rams are cool but do not react as fast as single ended if u plan on hitting anything at wot steering mite be to slo with double,
                That has nothing to do with it at all. You just have to size a DE cylinder differently than a SE cylinder because you have to account for the shaft being inside of a DE cylinder. The only advantage to a SE cylinder is mounting space. DE will be "balanced" left to right so it won't have more force when extending one way, and act quicker(but with less force) the opposite.

Read Billavista's article.

Originally posted by CJsOffRoad View Post
                You can also buy dual action cylinders from surplus center. http://www.surpluscenter.com/item.as...name=hydraulic
                Dual action just means it has pressure on both sides of the piston(can be powered both directions). A single action cylinder means it only powers one way, and it has to be manually forced to go back to it's previous position. That would be like a dual-post lift cylinder... it only has pressure when raising the lift, then you are basically releasing pressure so it can drop down because of the weight of the vehicle/lift forcing the fluid out of the cylinder.

Surplus does have dual ENDED rams though(which I guess is what you were trying to get at?)... but I was saying to go with PSC or similar for street driving not because of that, but because the cheap rams have CLEVISES vs heim joints.

But there are ways around that too, check out what this guy did to a cheap ram to make it accept heim joints... scroll down to post #370:

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showt...+spidr&page=15

Comment

I have a double ended ram from surplus center that accepts the same clevis ends that PSC sells for heims or you can screw 3/4" heims directly into the ram. I like the surplus center rams because they have mounting blocks welded to them. Don't have to worry about the clamps coming loose. The single ended tractor rams with the big clevis end will get slopply. If you plan on driving your rig on the road I would suggest calling PSC and getting a complete kit from them with a return to center orbital valve.

Originally posted by flatlander757 View Post
                  That has nothing to do with it at all. You just have to size a DE cylinder differently than a SE cylinder because you have to account for the shaft being inside of a DE cylinder. The only advantage to a SE cylinder is mounting space. DE will be "balanced" left to right so it won't have more force when extending one way, and act quicker(but with less force) the opposite.

Dual action just means it has pressure on both sides of the piston(can be powered both directions). A single action cylinder means it only powers one way, and it has to be manually forced to go back to it's previous position. That would be like a dual-post lift cylinder... it only has pressure when raising the lift, then you are basically releasing pressure so it can drop down because of the weight of the vehicle/lift forcing the fluid out of the cylinder.

Surplus does have dual ENDED rams though(which I guess is what you were trying to get at?)... but I was saying to go with PSC or similar for street driving not because of that, but because the cheap rams have CLEVISES vs heim joints.

But there are ways around that too, check out what this guy did to a cheap ram to make it accept heim joints... scroll down to post #370:

Last edited by CJsOffRoad; 01-16-2011, 09:31 PM.
                  Willys buggy 4.3, 350 trans, toy axles, linked suspension, air shocks

Comment

Originally posted by CJsOffRoad View Post
                    I have a double ended ram from surplus center that accepts the same clevis ends that PSC sells for heims or you can screw 3/4" heims directly into the ram. I like the surplus center rams because they have mounting blocks welded to them. Don't have to worry about the clamps coming loose. The single ended tractor rams with the big clevis end will get slopply. If you plan on driving your rig on the road I would suggest calling PSC and getting a complete kit from them with a return to center orbital valve.

Sweet, I'll keep that in mind

Comment

For the orbital valves how are they classified. I see that they have a cubic inch number associated with them. Is this the amount of fluid displaced per one revolution? How many turns do I want/need lock to lock?
                      JT Jones

83 Toyota - beater
                      87 Toyota Truggy

Comment

Originally posted by flatlander757 View Post

nice def. of single and balanced rams but think we know that.
                        SMITH BUILT PERIOD

Comment

Originally posted by Jonesy View Post
                          For the orbital valves how are they classified. I see that they have a cubic inch number associated with them. Is this the amount of fluid displaced per one revolution? How many turns do I want/need lock to lock?
                          Depends on how much fluid your pump puts out and how large the ram is.

Read Billavista's article ;)

Comment

Originally posted by twiztedzuki View Post
                            nice def. of single and balanced rams but think we know that.
                            my next rig will be on the trail before zuk 2.0 will

Comment

i was waiting on why i wrong about rams not what they are. i going on what southern hillclimbers tell so just wanting answer
                              SMITH BUILT PERIOD

Comment

Working...
                              X