Ball Joints????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ball Joints????

How do you know if Ball joints are going bad? and how hard are they to press in and out of an axel?
    --------
    O____O
    (O|||||||O)
    --O---O--

Get the front tires off the ground, then grab the top and bottom of the tire and check for slop (i.e. pull out at the top and push in at the bottom, then vice versa). Any noticiable movement at all typically means they need replaced.

To replace you need a ball joint press and impact. Usually not that big of a deal to press the old ones out and new ones in.

Comment

and , if your talking about a jeep with unit bearings make sure you look to see where the slop is coming from , It would really bring on the suck if you changed out ball joints just to find it was a unit bearing....

on the ujoints you will see the knuckle moving at the ball joints.

Comment

already replacced the bad Unit Bearing....I have a shake at 60-65 i had the tires balanced, torquesd everything and still cant find it... im thinking ball joints now
        --------
        O____O
        (O|||||||O)
        --O---O--

Comment

AH the joys of whelling your DD...
          Dont look @ me in that tone of voice or I WILL PUNCH YOU IN THE SHIRT! :mad:

Comment

Originally posted by jwend View Post
            AH the joys of whelling your DD...
            yea i know someday ill be able to afford a trail only rig...maybe after i retire from being a band director...lol
            --------
            O____O
            (O|||||||O)
            --O---O--

Comment

Originally posted by began View Post
              yea i know someday ill be able to afford a trail only rig...maybe after i retire from being a band director...lol
              I wish my old band director done some wheelling. He was just a hippie foosball player.
              1994 Dodge Ram 5.9L SWB
              3/4 axles, 39.5 IROKS, HYDRO assist

Comment

Originally posted by BIGRAM View Post
                I wish my old band director done some wheelling. He was just a hippie foosball player.
                lmfao!!!!!!!!!!
                S10 with a few air shocks..

Comment

Get a BFH and go to work!
                  SKINNY PEDAL!!!SKINNY PEDAL!!!

Comment

I would bet its still in the tires. What kind of balance did they do to it?

wieghts on both sides of the wheel, or just one one?

Just pounding wieghts on a tire ato zero out the balance isnt always enough. Did they check for radial run out?
                    www.offroadohio.com
                    www.facebook.com/offroadohio1
                    www.youtube.com/offroadohio1
                    www.photobucket.com/offroadohio

Comment

i just took it to tire discounters.... im assuming they did the most basic they could do
                      --------
                      O____O
                      (O|||||||O)
                      --O---O--

Comment

My F-250 eats a set of ball joints about once a year. When mine are bad I get a clunk in the front end and when I am in a parking lot and have to wheel at full lock in either direction, you can feel the front tire (best way I can describe it) folding in. This is in a 2wd truck though. Jack up the front end and get a large pry bar. See if you can get any play in the wheel by prying on it. A bad ball joint will move.

They arnt hard to replace but are a PITA because of everything that needs to come off.
                        91 fj 80 on 37 Nitto Muds with a 10k winch. Cage and sliders coming soon.

Comment

tire discounters would have todl you if you had a bad balljoint I am sure.

Take it back tell them it still shakes and tell them to them to match mount the tires.
                          www.offroadohio.com
                          www.facebook.com/offroadohio1
                          www.youtube.com/offroadohio1
                          www.photobucket.com/offroadohio

Comment

Working...
                          X