Steering wheel float

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering wheel float

So I've had float in the tj for 4 yrs now and it's time to fix it. The jeep has a 4 in rc SA lift and 33s. I'm thinking bout switching out the gear box mine has a leak ad I think it may be the heart to the problem. I've been throughout the whole front susp time and time again to get rid of the dreaded death wobble with has been resolved.

On a second note I'm deploying to afghan and will be doin so future modifications. I want to run 36s with a 4 in for lower COG. But may have to go tk a 5 in either way I will be goin LA. None of this really goes with the topic but I listed for some insight. I've done some reading on dropped Pitman arms cause steering float. I'm wanting to upgrade track bars and steering linkages for a more solid setup.

With all that Being said can I go with a stok pitman arm and lose the relocation bracket kn the axle side. Along with replacing the steering box. Would this get rid of the float. Or am I wrong in a few areas.
    UNITED STATES MARINE
    99 TJ, locked, long armed, creepy's
    sigpic

Don't waste your money replacing your box with a stock TJ box. Go ahead and get one out of a 99 Durango. You'll need one from a 4x4 Durango with snow plow. They are a direct bolt-in, but are much bigger and stronger.

If your steering box is worn, replacing it with a new on will make the biggest difference with your steering float.

Comment

I know you said the entire front end has been through, but have you had an actual alignment performed? It's pretty common to people describe this type of condition when the toe is out of adjustment.

Comment

Ball joints, tie rod ends and sway bar in good shape?
        91 fj 80 on 37 Nitto Muds with a 10k winch. Cage and sliders coming soon.

Comment

Jeep has had an alignment. Ball joints tie rods all are in good shape.

So just need a gear box from a 99 4x4 Durango. I dont get the snow plow part of that?
          UNITED STATES MARINE
          sigpic

Comment

I've done a little research on the Durang box swap. Looks like 98-99 Durango with 4x4 and the v8 are a direct bol in. The snow plow package just gives a little extra turning lock to lock I'm really not worried about that right now. Just want to get the float in the steering fixed.

This will be done and I'm wanting to throw in a heavy duty adjustable track bar at the same time. With doin that would I still use the drop pitman arm and track bar relocation bracket on the axle or use OEM pitman arm an mounting hole on the axle.
            UNITED STATES MARINE
            sigpic

Comment

Make sure your steering shaft doesn't have any play in it either. Where i connects to the box can get some slop too but this should create any drift on the road but the steering may feel loose.
              88 XJ - 5" lift - 35" BFG's - Bumpers - Rock Rails - Homebrewed OBA - Roof Rack - Tube Doors - Trimmed - Dented

87 XJ - D44 - Disco D30 - 235's - 231TC - Stock for now

Comment

Make sure it is the box before you do it. It will only frustrate you if it isnt.
                91 fj 80 on 37 Nitto Muds with a 10k winch. Cage and sliders coming soon.

Comment

I'll probably do the upgrade to the Durango box anyways since my box already a good leak coming from it.
                  UNITED STATES MARINE
                  sigpic

Comment

Working...
                  X