CUMMINS oil pressure????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CUMMINS oil pressure????

I have a 95 12V with only 222,222 miles and last week I noticed the oil pressure gauge would randomly drop then pop right back to where it should be. I changed the oil thinking maybe it was just thin but that didn't help. At idle and when I'm driving it usually stays well over 40, but if I "blip" the pedal it drops pretty low sometimes to "0". It seems to drop off when the convertor locks up too. All this only happens after the truck warms up and the gauge always comes right back up. So is it just a propblem with the gauge or sending unit, or is my motor about to lock up? This weekend I'm putting a mech gauge on it to see, but wondered if anyone else has had this problem...

That is probably the sending unit. The oil pump is pretty damn robust. I would say a spun bearing before a pump on a cummins. Usually the dash alarms you on an oil pressure problem. Your trucks older age may be before the dash would light up and alarm. Ever had the valves adjusted? This truck have an easy life? Hopefully it is just the sensor.
    sigpic

Comment

Haven't had the truck long enough to say if its had a hard life or not, but it does had all new front end parts and brakes, as well as a new paint job so either the last guy took good care of it or he was fixing up a turd..... i don't think its a bearing, there is no knocking and when I changed the oil it was just normal dirty oil, no metal shaving or silver color.

Comment

i agree with scott. change the oil pressure switch. gabby. it is an easy fix.

Comment

that is what mind did when the sending unit went out as well

Comment

Working...
          X