Wheel Bearing Race Stuck on Spindle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wheel Bearing Race Stuck on Spindle

I blew out a wheel out bearing this weekend on my CJ. I pulled the hub and the inner bearing race is stuck on the spindle. I've tried using a gear puller (Posi Lock) and no luck. I've hit it with some PB Blaster and no luck.

I think the issue is I have no ledge or anything for the gear puller to grab a hold of.

Any ideas on how to remove it? Or does anyone have Dana 30 spindles laying around they are looking to get rid of?

Let me know.

nose grind a groove in it get it to crack with a chisel
    should come off easy after it is cracked
    For you guys who can't drive, I have owned a frame rack for several years. Prices are based on your skill and ability to wreck it....

Comment

I have started grinding on the race with a die grinder. Its some pretty hard material. Its taking some time but I hope to get there soon. My compressor keeps tripping its circuit breaker so I don't have continuous air supply. Oh well I will get there eventually.

Comment

Yep putting a notch in it is your best bet, dont nick the shaft of coarse, some factory service manuals say that this is the way to properly remove old bearings....

Comment

This may be a stupid question but are all Dana 30 spindles the same? I cut the bearing race in 3 different places and have been whacking it with a chisel and no luck. So I am off to the yard to see if I can find a Dana 30 and was wondering if all Dana 30 spindles are created equal.

Comment

Dana 30 spindle..:confused: Do you mean the wheel bearing hub assy?? Is the stuck bearing race on the axle shaft?Some dana 30 parts interchange and some won't..

I live in colerain twp close to Northgate Mall.I'm sure we can get the race off ,if you wanna stop by.

Nick
            Just a 200 dollar cherokee that wouldn't start ..
            Ten years later same chrome grille ..

Comment

Originally posted by Coppertop View Post
              Dana 30 spindle..:confused: Do you mean the wheel bearing hub assy?? Is the stuck bearing race on the axle shaft?Some dana 30 parts interchange and some won't..

I live in colerain twp close to Northgate Mall.I'm sure we can get the race off ,if you wanna stop by.

Nick
              CJ dana 30 have spindle and hubs like most of the dana 44 and dana 60 do.

Comment

Originally posted by fmlewis View Post
                This may be a stupid question but are all Dana 30 spindles the same? I cut the bearing race in 3 different places and have been whacking it with a chisel and no luck. So I am off to the yard to see if I can find a Dana 30 and was wondering if all Dana 30 spindles are created equal.
                you will need to find a spindle from a cj dana 30.
                one from a scout dana 44 might work

Comment

So I picked up a pair of spindles off of a friend of mine. The issue is I believe they are 72 - 77 versions, i.e. drum brake style. I noticed it doesn't have the steps like my spindle does. But he also gave me a pair of 6 bolt hubs that the spindles slip in and out of, similar to the 5 bolt.

I haven't measured them to see if there are any differences, but does anyone know of any?

I did a google search and nothing really jumps out other than if you have a dana 30 with drum brakes you can swap from the knuckle out to get disc brakes.

We'll see. I hope to get the front axle back together so I can take it out this weekend.

Comment

BTW: Thanks for the info. I can always count the CORE guys for good info.

Comment

hey I just seen this ad
                      http://dayton.craigslist.org/pts/2389626940.html

those will work and give you spare parts :)

Comment

Working...
                      X