Hydro steering????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hydro steering????

I have been reading and searching and reading more. Not really sure what all I have to have to do a full hydro system? I am also not sure of the size ram I am getting(buying used) it is shimmed for a toyota axle though. So the ram size is really something I will need asap before I go buying steering valve and all (whatever else I need) the other stuff? I need help here I am new to hydro. Main reason hydro steering is because I am linking the front and cutting frame off so wont have a place to mount a steering box.

Basically what all will I need if the ram is an 8" shimmed to 6" and I beleive the bore is 2.25"? Not positive might be 2".

I'm assuming by your nickname, its going on a toyota? If its shimmed for a toyota, its probably an 8" ram shimmed down to 6". If you have a specific question, I can probably answer.

www.trail-gear.com, or PSC are good suppliers for any full hydro component, and or technical diagrams on how the system should be set up. Just look in their technical information section on their websites.

Where in Independence are you located, I'm behind Kroger in the subdivision.

Comment

Yes it is going on a toyota. The main question is what size steering valve am I going to need to run? Do you need to know the size of the bore before hand to determine that? A friend did the math but I want to double check before I go and buy a steering valve and it not work. Worst case scenario with buying a steering valve too small? Take more turns lock to lock???? I live off of Maher Rd.

Comment

Search pbb tell you everything u need. To tell lock to lock I think its displacement of orbital divided into ram volume I think.. but if u get one that's too slow u can get a circletrack steering quickener for 40$. And if its too quick and twitchy u can put one in backwards
        my next rig will be on the trail before zuk 2.0 will

Comment

Oh and run a seperate cooler and not run it thru radiator oil/ trans circuit cause ps fluid starts to break down at 190f and radiator would be preheating it to close to that temp. And let gravity feed fluid from resovoir to pump instead of pump sucking long tube restrictions.

My thoughts.
          my next rig will be on the trail before zuk 2.0 will

Comment

Yeah, you need to calculate the volume to figure which orbital you need, to do that you need the bore. to calculate volume its pieX dia2/ 4 X stroke length.
            That will give you a volume number to determine number of lock to lock turns based on size of the valve. Valves usually specify how much volume per turn of the input shaft.

Or (the easy way) you could figure out which cylinder bore/stroke you have and call PSC directly, they'll recommend the right size valve for your application.

You have a pump that will handle the pressure/volume? The Toyota pump probably isn't up to the task.

have you decided single end or double end ram? Single is cheaper, but has some getting used to as turns are 1/2 as many going one way as they are the other.

Originally posted by simpletoy View Post
            Yes it is going on a toyota. The main question is what size steering valve am I going to need to run? Do you need to know the size of the bore before hand to determine that? A friend did the math but I want to double check before I go and buy a steering valve and it not work. Worst case scenario with buying a steering valve too small? Take more turns lock to lock???? I live off of Maher Rd.

Comment

So even if I buy the wrong size steering valve I can get that quickener? Any pros or cons on this device? Also what is PBB? (might just be something I have never heard of) I planned on running a cooler in front of the rad also. Thanks for tips though.

Comment

Originally posted by pfreer3 View Post
                Yeah, you need to calculate the volume to figure which orbital you need, to do that you need the bore. to calculate volume its pieX dia2/ 4 X stroke length.
                That will give you a volume number to determine number of lock to lock turns based on size of the valve. Valves usually specify how much volume per turn of the input shaft.

Or (the easy way) you could figure out which cylinder bore/stroke you have and call PSC directly, they'll recommend the right size valve for your application.

You have a pump that will handle the pressure/volume? The Toyota pump probably isn't up to the task.

have you decided single end or double end ram? Single is cheaper, but has some getting used to as turns are 1/2 as many going one way as they are the other.

The ram is double ended. I am almost 98% the stroke is 6". The bore I wanna say is 2.25" but I am not positive and wont know for sure until I get the unit probly. I doubt the toyota pump will be suffecient enough but I have searched that you can get inside the pump and change a thing or two for it to pump more psi.

I am not sure if I have done my math right if all the above numbers are correct.

Comment

PBB = pirate4x4 buliten board = www.pirate4x4.com

look in the Forums section under Toyota truck and 4runner. I thought everybody knew about Pirate....

6" stroke is what everybody uses for Toyota axles. Sometimes I've heard of people taking an 8" and using shims to stop the travel.

I've heard even with the Toyota pump modified(you drill out a restriction for more flow actually), its output is only good enough for Hydro assist, not full hydro. I've always run a GM p-pump, so I have no first hand experience, only what I've read, and what PSC told me on the phone when I ordered my full hydro kit.

Comment

Oh I search pirate a ton but haven't really found any details on the steering valve. I guess I will be upgrading pump also to a bigger one. I called up psc and the steering valve they recommended they didn't have in stock.

Comment

The stock toyota pump works fine with full hydro setup. I've ran it most of the people I wheel with just use a stock pump.
                      Jeeps are cute. Barbe drives one.

Comment

Alright sounds like stock pump it is then for now

Comment

Originally posted by yellowjacket View Post
                          but if u get one that's too slow u can get a circletrack steering quickener for 40$.
                          Wonder how that would help my 3 turns lock to lock? 2 would be better.

Comment

Working...
                          X