Going From An NP435 to TH400

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Going From An NP435 to TH400

Asked this on Pirate and didn't get much response, so I figured I'd ask here. My current setup is 5.3L/NP435/Ford 205. I picked up a TH400 and am wanting to swap the 4-speed for the auto. I know that I'm going to need a different flywheel/adapter that I can get from AA to mate the tranny to the engine. I'm not too concerned about that, as it's only about $150 from AA. They also make an adapter that will mate the Ford 205 to the TH400, but it runs over $600 and I don't really want to spend that much.

Are there any cheaper alternatives to get this done? Anyone had any experience with doing it? Let me know.

Will the ORD adapter work? http://offroaddesign.com/catalog/transfercaseparts.htm

Comment

This should help if you didn't find it on PBB already...

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=866064

Did you check over on Hardline about what they use to adapt the GM trans to a Ford style 205?

I'd have a hard time sinking $600+ in adapters to keep a $100 T-case... unless you're strictly a rock bouncer and have no need for a better low range.

Comment

Originally posted by JeffK5 View Post
        I'd have a hard time sinking $600+ in adapters to keep a $100 T-case... unless you're strictly a rock bouncer and have no need for a better low range.
        that's pretty much my feelings, but I can't really afford a different t-case right now.

Comment

buy ya a 300, flip it and do a new input shaft (on 300) not trans you already have the adapter on that 400 i am almost positive.. prob have to do a new front drive shaft... you may have 3 or 400 in the get up.... then you have a better crawl ratio
          Last edited by jwend; 08-08-2011, 09:13 PM. Reason: didnt like the link
          Dont look @ me in that tone of voice or I WILL PUNCH YOU IN THE SHIRT! :mad:

Comment

Not a bad option if I can find a decent 300 for a reasonable price.
            Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

Comment

your buddy Leslie has one

Comment

What about using a Klune or a Black Box as the adapter? That would help my crawl ratio. Would that work? It would be cheaper than an Atlas.

Comment

buy the time you mess with it you are going to wish you just got a atlas.... take it from me i have spent 4k on tring to go the cheap route ... enough to buy one and a new built trans.... Yer rig works real well now you have the trans just stack the money then do it... you will always want a atlas if not....

by the way i took that fly wheel and adapter of today if you still want it..

Comment

Yes, I still want it. I'm still in Nebraska.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                    X