Carbon fiber

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carbon fiber

Anyone have any experience with using carbon fiber to make small non structural parts? Looking for a general tutorial and a good source for the raw components.
    JT Jones

83 Toyota - beater
    87 Toyota Truggy

What kinds (shapes) of brackets are you making..

We do various types of layered composite components where I work. Some are carbon fiber , some are a fiberglass (Vette/boat like) and some are phenolic. I do know they all require vacuum bonding chambers and a bunch of designing and engineering do get the strength people associate with fiber bonded composites.

I'm no expert but all these types of materials have obvious grain structure ... almost like wood... when your going with the laminate direction it's damn strong but other ways it's very weak.

That make any sense?

Comment

Here is a link to a thread where a guy builds a snorkle out of carbon fiber for a fj60... probably not a part you are looking to make, but there is a lot of good info..
      http://forum.ih8mud.com/60-series-wa...r-snorkel.html

sigpic
      chris hodges
      96 fzj80 3x locked, 4"lift, 37s, homebrew sliders and bumpers,a work in progress
      71 fj55, SOA, locked...The jungle bus... retired

Comment

Jeff, I was going to try my hand at making a couple custom pieces for my streetbike. A side cover, caliper cover, etc.. I hate polishing chrome so thought about making some CF covers just for aesthetic purposes. For your composites to you use vacuum bags, or do you just pop the parts into an oven/autoclave?

Thanks for the link Chris. I've done a few searches on youtube and google. It seems like everyone does it a different way.
        JT Jones

83 Toyota - beater
        87 Toyota Truggy

Comment

PS...

Carbon fiber, or more to the point, the resins in CF fab, are generally not UV stable. It's tough to paint over the bling, but necessary.

Comment

Originally posted by Jonesy View Post
            Jeff, I was going to try my hand at making a couple custom pieces for my streetbike. A side cover, caliper cover, etc.. I hate polishing chrome so thought about making some CF covers just for aesthetic purposes. For your composites to you use vacuum bags, or do you just pop the parts into an oven/autoclave?
            We use vacuum bags and low temp furnaces ... I guess the bags promote 100% bonding and the temp run cures it for maximum strength?

I think there clear coatings to offer UV protection for natural look carbon fiber?

Comment

Working...
            X