tj custom tailgate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tj custom tailgate

Has anyone here ever made a tailgate/tire carrier combo? Something like a tube tailgate with the tire on it. I'm trying to cut extra weight where I can. Looking for pics or advice. I'm wanting to take the factory tailgate completely off
    If you don't want it broke, don't let me drive it....

Here are a few things I did to a beater jeep to lighten it up a bit. Throw the tailgate away and ratchet strap the spare tire to the roll bar. Sell the hood, top and doors. Remove some of the bolts that are overkill. Fill the tires with helium. Use a hole saw and drill the frame in a few spots and run around in the salt in the winter time and it will get alot lighter. With fewer bolts the repairs were much quicker and the chance of breaking off a rusty bolt was lessend.

After all of this the fuel mileage and off road capability remained the same. I found that the frame had decided to bend permanently and 3 wheel motion (hydraulic low rider terms) was common while turning so I jumped it across a creek for its last big hoorah!

The tailgate idea sounds good, but to make it weather proof and lighter will be a challenge!
    sigpic

Comment

I'm not worried about water tight anymore. Its garage kept. Just don't want to spend a ****load on a tire swing, but my tire in wreaking havoc on the tailgate so I gotta do something

Comment

Reinforcing the tailgate may be an option if you want to keep it.
        sigpic

Comment

here is what I did with mine.
          it has a reese hitch hole at the top that has a flat plate on the end with the bolt hole patten on it and has 2 holes so I mount wider tires also, swings open.. pros , very strong, cons - the red clamp thing suxs i had to make some thing else to hold it in place. took a peace of steel and bent it around and drilled it out to put a bolt threw it to hold it in place. Does raddle some cus the tire is not touching anything..

I bout it from utopia offroad they make them for jeeps too.

Thanks,
          67fastback

-------------
          84 Honda cr60r - for sale
          87 Honda 200sx - for sale
          67 Mustang fastback - under restoration MCA #63430
          04 Silverado 2500 crew cab
          87 sami - "SPLAT"
          87 sami tin top - "Blue Fire"
          88 sami - "Squirt"

My New Video Channel -http://www.youtube.com/PhillbillyProduction

My Video Channel - http://www.youtube.com/justworkn

Comment

He is looking for a tailgate/tire combo where the tailgate is the tire holder assembly.
            sigpic

Comment

I was thinking of building one roughly the size of oem out of 1"x2" box tubing. Then mount my tire to it and get a latch of some kind. And use the factory tailgate hinges as well. Seems simple......

Comment

What size of tire are you going to put on the factory hinges? They may not agree with the extra weight.
                sigpic

Comment

There was a guy on Jeep Forum that did basically what you are talking about. He built new hinges off his corner guards and then used 2 pieces of rectangle tube to span across and mounted his tailgate to cross members. Totally got rid of the factory hinges. He was happy with it.

Comment

Pater your first response was awesome!! Rotflmao!!
                    S10 with a few air shocks..

Comment

Originally posted by humpy View Post
                      Pater your first response was awesome!! Rotflmao!!
                      I am glad that someone got a laugh out of it to justify my time typing cause my finger is now sore from button pushing.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by 94Dodge Truggy View Post
                        I am glad that someone got a laugh out of it to justify my time typing cause my finger is now sore from button pushing.
                        LOL... Ur a nut...

Comment

Right now its just a 33, I think the hinges will handle it. Its the tailgate itself that objects to the extra weight and keeps flexing. I think I saw that forum, was it with the fold down tailgate conversion?

Comment

No, he basically attched his tailgate to the tire swing out. My buddy bought a TJ that had the factory hing pins drilled out. Then he build a arm that went on top and below of the factory hinge and then through bolted it. It squeaked a lot, but it was holding on a 38" bogger with steel beadlock, highlift jack, 2 jerry cans and a huge rack for a cooler.

Comment

Leave spare tire Layin on trailer... Throw spare tire carrier in scrap pile... Then go wheelin
                              S10 with a few air shocks..

Comment

Working...
                              X