tj tcase drop removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tj tcase drop removal

After a somewhat discouraging run at haspin last weekend, I've realized what I need to work on. My question is, can I take off my tcase drop without lengthening my drive shaft? I have a sye and cv shaft already. Just don't know if it would pull the slip yoke out too much. Its only a 1" drop
    If you don't want it broke, don't let me drive it....

You should be fine but nobody can say for sure without looking at it in person. As you raise the transfercase backup you chouls also adjust your pinion angle accordingly which will minimize then amount your driveshaft lengthens. One of my favorite mods was putting a "tummy tuck" skid on my TJ.
    Ian

06 Toyota 4Runner

Comment

i just put spring pirches in, so im not cutting and adjusting. the cv drive shaft should handle the angle. i just dont know how much more it will the the shaft out.

Comment

If you have a SYE there is no reason to have a transfer case drop. If you remove it, you will most likely have to adjust your upper control arms so that your pinion points at the transfer case. It will be pointing a little low and you will have to lengthen them.

Comment

I put the lift on years ago before I knew any better, my control arms are factory non adjustable. I don't think I have that much adjustment. The drop came in the kit. It is a superlift short arm kit. Would I need to get adjustable arms first?

Comment

What if I pull the Tcase drop and add a 1" MM lift? Those are a lot cheaper that adjustable arms and you get new motor mounts...... Just a thought. They're supposed to help issues like this

Comment

Honestly I don't know for sure. I would just take out the spacer an see how it rides. It would only take 30 mins to figure it out. If you do have vibes then you would most likely need adjustable uppers. Check forums for some used ones if you are wanting to save cash. If your lowers are adjustable they might have enough adjustment to stop the vibes.

Comment

The purpose of the t-case drops are for the driveshaft angles, not the length. The 1" drop makes a pretty small difference in the length (only a fraction of that 1") and just suspension articulation causes more length differences.

Just as said above, remove it and go for a drive. With the SYE and CV there should be no reasons for it in regards to the angles.

Comment

If you allready have a CV style driveshaft and it is too short you could take it to a driveshaft store and they can lengthen it for you.

Comment

I'm not worried about the angle as much as drive shaft length. The D shaft was made with the lift and T case drop installed. I guess well just try it and see

Comment

Originally posted by tjrider View Post
                      I'm not worried about the angle as much as drive shaft length. The D shaft was made with the lift and T case drop installed. I guess well just try it and see
                      Take a tape and measure the length from the t-case to axle yoke. Now hold the tape at the axle yoke and move the t-case end up 1"...I bet there will be very little difference. The length of the driveshaft is not nearly that close of a tolerance, just look at the amount of movement allowed in the slipyoke on the shaft.

Comment

So I'm balls deep in taking these *****es off.... Its pretty hard with no fire wrench. I had to cut the side off the spacer, then cut the bolt in 1/2, then wrench them out with vise grips. Holy hell!!!!! I got one side out, so I'm pretty well committed. Don't think DS angle will be an issue. It sucks with an angle grinder and beer for fuel. Sacrifices.....

Comment

Glad to see your making progress.Half way there...Your welcome to bring it over tomorrow after I return from the wife's doc visit.I just purchased a new can of Never Seize.

Nick
                          Just a 200 dollar cherokee that wouldn't start ..
                          Ten years later same chrome grille ..

Comment

Got the drop out and frame painted, what a big difference. I ordered a 1" MML from brown dog offroad to take care of the small vib I got. Well see how it goes

Comment

Working...
                            X