quality of optima batteries

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• quality of optima batteries

anyone have any problems with optima batteries lately? fixin to buy a yellow top but a friend mentioned that, in the last few years ,the quality has gone downhill a lot....

battery box fits 34/78 size so i am limited to a specific size

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk
    my next rig will be on the trail before zuk 2.0 will

I can't tell you how their quality was in the past, but I have a four year old Yellow Top that is fine.

Bought a second one at Sam's this summer. Thought about alternatives like the Odyssey, but it was too spendy given the Yellow Top's performance. I couldn't find a Wally World battery that had both side/top posts like the Yellow Top. (I uses both for different connections, and I'm too lazy to rewire the ends.)

The original is now my backup and in-house 12V power source for higher amp science projects.

Comment

Save your money. Get a green top Interstate 78DT. 3 year free replacement no questions asked. Optima is not what it used to be. I'll never pay for one again.

Comment

I bought a new yellow top last fall and haven't had any trouble out of it so far.

Comment

lisa told me scotts a dealer so guess i need to chat with him about sizing.

good:)

my next rig will be on the trail before zuk 2.0 will

Comment

Originally posted by yellowjacket View Post
            anyone have any problems with optima batteries lately? fixin to buy a yellow top but a friend mentioned that, in the last few years ,the quality has gone downhill a lot....

battery box fits 34/78 size so i am limited to a specific size

http://forum.ih8mud.com/hardcore-cor...a-yay-nay.html

here is some good info on optima batteries... if you go thru the thread there is a guy from optima(optima jim) that answers a bunch of specific questions too...
            sigpic
            chris hodges
            96 fzj80 3x locked, 4"lift, 37s, homebrew sliders and bumpers,a work in progress
            71 fj55, SOA, locked...The jungle bus... retired

Comment

Could never bring myself to spend the money on an Optima. Just got a new pair for the Blazer today after having some issues. I've had good luck with the Duralast Gold versions from Autozone and have been running them since the mid-90's. They have a 3 year free replacement and an 8 year pro-rated warranty. The set I replaced today was right at 6 years old and had a rough life in an off-road vehicle, winching, sat around a lot between being started, and had been drained and recharged several times (sometimes the diesel is a bare to start when real cold).

Basically walked out of the store with a pair of dual terminal group 34 1000CCA batteries for the price of one, which I didn't think was bad considering the olds ones were 6 years old. Optimas were around $190 per battery.

The factory GM battery in my '03 went out after 7 years and I replaced it with whatever the Advance Auto Parts "premium" house brand is. Think I got 35% off by using a discount code online and them store pickup, and thus the reason I went that route.

Comment

Originally posted by carwash View Post
                Save your money. Get a green top Interstate 78DT. 3 year free replacement no questions asked. Optima is not what it used to be. I'll never pay for one again.
                Save your money,, they suck.. I have been 3 yellows and 2 reds in the last 3 years.. they were covered by warranty but its still a pain
                Dont look @ me in that tone of voice or I WILL PUNCH YOU IN THE SHIRT! :mad:

Comment

I get the blems from Withards in bethel $25.00 (might be 35.00 now)have been using them for years never any problems. I usually get 3 to 4 yrs out of them.
                  I got a jeep

Comment

I put the top of the line Die Hard in my first Jeep 38 years ago and have never had any problem 6-8 years out of them. I run them in the CJ, XJ, Camry, and a full size battery in the Polaris Ranger.

Comment

Optima was sold and is now made in china I believe. Better off buying a odyssey or interstate now if you need reliability.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by 94Dodge Truggy View Post
                        Optima was sold and is now made in china I believe. Better off buying a odyssey or interstate now if you need reliability.
                        mexico from what i have read
                        sigpic
                        chris hodges
                        96 fzj80 3x locked, 4"lift, 37s, homebrew sliders and bumpers,a work in progress
                        71 fj55, SOA, locked...The jungle bus... retired

Comment

Originally posted by gothodgie View Post
                          mexico from what i have read
                          That sounds right! The other china. :p
                          sigpic

Comment

I had one in my race car for 5 years no problems it is still in the car when I sold it. The jeep I bought has a yellowtop in it no problems yet. I know you need to use a battery charger that charges AGM battery's or you will boil them

Comment

You are better off buying a 2 year old or older optima battery than a new one with the sub-par build quality found now. The Optima company was sold and they are now manufactured in Mexico I have just found out in a recent thread from a battery distributor. That sucks! I run an Odyssey dry cell in my side x side with no problems after the stock one failed twice in 7 months. Maybe this is an alternative.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X