tj electric fan setup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tj electric fan setup

I know a lot of you guys are running these, but I want to convert to an electric fan set up on the tj. I know I can piece something together cheaper than buying a "kit". But I don't know what all I need to make this happen. What switches and such do I need and what kind of fan should I run. I do have a 180 thermostat in now. Thanks guys
    If you don't want it broke, don't let me drive it....

Are you having it come on at a certian temp or off of a switch. I have mine on a switch so I can shut it off in deep water. my distributer is low on the engine. their is a bunch of ways to do it jegs has some good prices. If you get a bad fan (used junk yard fan) that works at first and goes out while you are out you are screwed. I had to find a junkyard and get a manual fan to throw back on the jeep to make it back to cincinnati after my electric fan locked up.

Shawn

Comment

the ford taurus 3.8l fan is very popular for this kinda swap. they are 2 speed and have a very high CFM rating.
      beat up rusted out k5

Comment

I've been reading a lot about the taurus swap. I don't like deep water so probably no switch. I didn't know if anyone had used a fan from any local parts stores

Comment

Almost any fan is great, as long as there is a proper shroud. The taurus fan is the whippety **** for sure, especially if you pick up the offroad aftermarket switch/relay system.

But again, almost any fan, if shrouded correctly is good to go.

Comment

I ran one out of Crown Vic that worked pretty well. Never had an issue with overheating.

Comment

Originally posted by carwash View Post
              Almost any fan is great, as long as there is a proper shroud. The taurus fan is the whippety **** for sure, especially if you pick up the offroad aftermarket switch/relay system.

But again, almost any fan, if shrouded correctly is good to go.
              X2 on the shroud... I have seen quite a few electric fan setups still let motor over heat because shroud wasn't up to par... It took me a while to realize thats why one o mine was overheating
              S10 with a few air shocks..

Comment

I run the Taurus fan on my 258 CJ. It works great. There is a lot of trimming that you need to do to the shroud to make it fit but it is an awesome fan. You can pick them up all day at Pull and Pay for about $25 and they come out pretty easy, 2 bolts and its out.

It is a very tight fit.

As far as relays go I think I'm running a 40amp (may be bigger, I just made sure the wires running into the relay were at least 12ga) relay for high and a 20amp for low. Again I picked up a pretty sweet relay rail down there also with relays for dirt cheap down there. I even think the lady at the counter let me have it no cost. I believe it came from a buick or some gm vehicle.

I ran the fan for awhile on just a switch and it drained my battery fairly often, because I basically ran it full time. So I ran a thermostat from Advance and it works great.

You definitely want to consider upgrading the Alternator if you go with the Taurus fan. On high it will drain the battery in about 15min. I haven't upgraded yet but I plan to.

Comment

I've read that the low speed is more than enough to cool a 4.0. I don't want to mess with a new alternator right now. So everyone just made a relay kit? I was hopin to just buy some kind of cheap off the shelf setup.

Comment

You can buy a relay kit pretty cheap but it won't come with a thermostat probably. Advance has a few relay kits but your better off buying a kir that can handle high or just make one in my opinion.

Comment

I have 2 electric fans from front wheel drive v8 caddys. They move lots and lots of air. $20 each
                      91 fj 80 on 37 Nitto Muds with a 10k winch. Cage and sliders coming soon.

Comment

A 2 fan set up, or 2 separate fans? How did you wire them up?

Comment

I have the taurus setup on my 304 and low keeps it cool almost all the time. If i do use high it only takes a minute to bring it back down. Both high and low are switched on my cj

Comment

My main concern is I'm not that good at creating an electrical system from scratch. I have no idea where to start wiring this thing up......:confused:

Comment

I purchased a electric fan relay kit from OREILYS a few years ago.The kit had everything you needed including the thermostat.The price was under 30.00 bucks.The taurus fan is a great choice.You should have no problem finding one at you-pull since there always at least twenty cars in the yard.

Nick
                              Last edited by Coppertop; 02-18-2012, 04:14 PM.
                              Just a 200 dollar cherokee that wouldn't start ..
                              Ten years later same chrome grille ..

Comment

Working...
                              X