1990 AC compresser not kicking in

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1990 AC compresser not kicking in

I bought a 1990 Cherokee and was told the AC did not work. I put a can of R134 in (it has been converted) and hot wired the compressor and it cooled great. Is there a fuse or relay that might be causing the compressor to not engage? I don't have a owner manual.

Originally posted by Jeepermeo2 View Post
    I bought a 1990 Cherokee and was told the AC did not work. I put a can of R134 in (it has been converted) and hot wired the compressor and it cooled great. Is there a fuse or relay that might be causing the compressor to not engage? I don't have a owner manual.
    Yes Sir! I have a 92 model and there is a fuse under the dash with the rest of the fuses and another under the hood.
    One Country, One Flag, One Language...
    LIKE IT OR LEAVE IT!!!

Comment

Thanks
      I will check all the fuses under the dash but I only see relays under the hood on the passengers side with no marking.

Comment

1990 is Renix, 1992 would be H/O, so there will be some discrepencies there...

I know there's a pressure switch that will keep the compressor from coming on if the coolant level is low. Are you sure your one can was enough to fill it all the way? No idea myself...

Robert
        DIRTY DEEDS, DONE DIRT CHEAP
        Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stranger

Comment

I did not use a gauge but it is very cold when I hot wired it.
          I tried it last night and it is still blowing cold.

Comment

you have to put gauges on it. no way that one can enough if system was low. the low pressure cut out switch is on the big line on the passenger side. you can test it by unplugging it and put a jumper wire in it, the plug. that will tell you if its just a fuse or still maybe low on charge
            Romans 7-8

Comment

I put a jumper wire in the plug and the compressor did not engage.
              So is it a fuse or still maybe low on charge?
              I'm thinking fuse or bad wire. Will check the fuses with a meter this time.:o
              Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Jeepermeo2 View Post
                I put a jumper wire in the plug and the compressor did not engage.
                So is it a fuse or still maybe low on charge?
                I'm thinking fuse or bad wire. Will check the fuses with a meter this time.:o
                Thanks
                Most likely a fuse. Check them before you dig too far.
                One Country, One Flag, One Language...
                LIKE IT OR LEAVE IT!!!

Comment

Thanks to all who replied.
                  Problem ended up being a bad relay.
                  Changed it out and now it works fine!
                  Again Thanks Mitch

Comment

Working...
                  X