Toyota pitman arm question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Toyota pitman arm question

In the process of doing the RUF springs and cross over steering on my 83 yota. I bought the trail gear mounting plates, and have an IFS box with a stock (??) drop pitman with the reamed hole for a FJ80 tie rod end.

With the RUF conversion it pushed the axle at least 2" forward. I can't get the steering box moved forward enough or rotated up enough so that the pitman won't hit the springs under compression or else the crossover link binds up on the tie rod link.

Searched pirate and can't find a straight answer. I'd really hate to hack on the core support since it is the only solid piece on the front dog house. Thought about ordering a flat pitman arm, but not sure if that would solve my problem. Anyone been through this and have any advice?
    JT Jones

83 Toyota - beater
    87 Toyota Truggy

What steering are using?? Home made? Hi steer kit??
    S10 with a few air shocks..

Comment

I bought it used, but I'm pretty sure it is a trail gear hi-steer kit.
      JT Jones

83 Toyota - beater
      87 Toyota Truggy

Comment

To the best of my knowledge to use a High Steer kit on a Toyota you have to have a drop hanger of at least 2-3 inches or have lift springs with a minimum of 4 inches and bump stopped in order to keep parts from binding. Does this answer your Question ?
        No need for a Winch...You just have to make it !!

Comment

U don't need all that lift... Notch your core support and move box another 1/2-3/4" forward... Will fix your issues... And will not hurt the core support... I think rear springs move axle 3" so the box needs to go farther... Last one I did I had to notch core support and body mount but had just enough lift to clear 35s with some trimming... And he basically daily drives it
          S10 with a few air shocks..

Comment

if you get trail gears drop hanget you wont have to mess with core support or body mountd, and it doesnt give you much more lift. I used it on the 85 yota i had

Comment

It just has the factory packs right now. I am planning on adding a leaf or two in order to bring it up a little. I'll hack on the core support a little since that is free and I don't have to wait on a part to show up. I'll look at installing bump stops as well.
              JT Jones

83 Toyota - beater
              87 Toyota Truggy

Comment

Working...
              X