Radiators Aluminum vs. Copper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radiators Aluminum vs. Copper

I am on the market for a radiator for the jeep. Mine sprung a leak recently and I had it repaired once a while back but I think after almost 30years its time to get replaced.

So I was wondering aluminum vs. copper, pros / cons, life expectancy, brands to stay away from, etc.

I can pick up an aluminum one from Shepherd Autoparts for $165 or a replacement copper one for around $200.

I have heard issues of corrosion in aluminum versions but I like the better heat dissipation. I am considering upgrading from a 2core to a 3core.

I'm running a mildly built 258.

I think the plastic/aluminum rads are junk. They don't last as long as the brass/copper or an all aluminum radiator. The plastic sides seem to fail. The copper rads can usually be fixed with solder and flux. My .02

Comment

If you got 30 years out of the stock one, than I wouldn't look at anything else.

Comment

I agree the plastic tank versions are junk. The one I'm looking at is an all aluminum version tanks and all and its a 3row. My current one is a 2row.

Here is the website:
        http://www.shepherdautoparts.com/all...ries/1983.html

The one I have is stock. I assume its original but maybe not.

I like the better heat dissipation of aluminum but the copper ones are tried and true.

Comment

i hope aluminum since i have 3 of them.. most all new car manufactures have aluminum core plastic tank versions and in all the years i have been doing this i have never seen the core go bad that wasnt a result of some kind of impact, but as far as the plastic tanks they all break. that being said i would go all aluminum.
          One of these days Zuk 2.0

Comment

First thing about cheap aluminum radiators is they are a epoxy core only. This is pretty weak and doesn't last long. I discovered this from using a universal jegs 2-1" core. Only lasted 2-3 years. The epoxy breaks down and small leaks start.

A good aluminum radiator is pressure braised and epoxy over top. Also, for off road you can't solid mount an aluminum radiator and you need a floating type of mounting system that allows the radiator to move. Hope this helps.

Comment

Copper actually provides better heat transfer than aluminum.
              Ian

06 Toyota 4Runner

Comment

Originally posted by Drivermod View Post
                Was going to say the same thing, copper has better heat transfer properties than aluminum.

Comment

Originally posted by Drivermod View Post
                  Comparing copper to aluminum, apples to apples, you are correct. But the aluminum radiators are engineered to have move surface area, use larger water passage tubes, and more fins per inch. Making them similar in efficiency.

Comment

Originally posted by fmlewis View Post
                    Comparing copper to aluminum, apples to apples, you are correct. But the aluminum radiators are engineered to have move surface area, use larger water passage tubes, and more fins per inch. Making them similar in efficiency.
                    Do you know for a fact that "all" aluminum radiators are engineered this way? Not debating or arguing, just asking.

Comment

Yes copper transfers heat Better than aluminum BUT,

Their is so much solder in a copper radiator that makes at least two different types of metal to make one radiator and all this solder doesn't transfer heat near like copper or even aluminum for that matter. An aluminum radiator is 100% aluminum as they "weld" or braise the tubes with aluminum. The tubes and cores are much bigger, like my griffin for example. Has 2 cores each 1.25" thick. In comparison it will out cool a 6 core copper.

Comment

Copper or aluminum....As long as it's high quality.Ether one ,will do the job.The aluminum ones seem to cost more,the main reason I chose copper.

Nick
                        Just a 200 dollar cherokee that wouldn't start ..
                        Ten years later same chrome grille ..

Comment

Copper cools better than aluminum. The solder is mostly zinc or nickel And some tin.
                          91 fj 80 on 37 Nitto Muds with a 10k winch. Cage and sliders coming soon.

Comment

Working...
                          X