Necessary to cut off runflats?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 94Dodge Truggy View Post
    Our 08 schedule will be decided tonight at the officers meeting. The rubber runflats are better? Are they lighter? If you know where I can get some rims let me know.
    I am sure they would be heavier? Truggy on a diet? On the rubber, it just won't damage the tire when running low PSI or when tire is pinched against it? Also the outer rim of the rim is supposed to be stronger than that of the 8-bolts.
    1994 YJ, 4.0, 5 speed.

*2006 Dodge 2500 Cummins, 4x4 Auto,Quad cab, LongBed, Tekonsha Prodigy(Tow Rig)

Comment

The 12 bolt rims are made for military use of a higher psi. rated tire and where a heavier load carrying capacity is needed. (I have been told) The less mass you are rotating the better. The more you can position weight where you need it the better.
      sigpic

Comment

The 12 bolts (I have read) were for the increased tire pressure that goes with radial tires. The 8 bolts were for older/smaller bias ply and then when they wanted to go to radials the stronger design was created.

This is of course here-say (sp?), as I really have no idea.

I have 12's with the rubber ring (NOT the rubber run flat... there was that option too, I have transported one for a buddy... I wouldn't want to try to jamb one of those bad boys into any tire) and I haven't had any issues, but at the pressures that we run, I can't see any downside to the 8's once you've cut the magnesium (alloy?) runflat off...

And yes, the bits that you cut off and the dust that you make, all make the campfire a little more exciting... TRUST ME. (you can easily turn the dead of night into daylight)
        brad

5.0L | 435 | 203 | 300 | 4.10 | 39.5
        Buildup BACK underway...

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by KargoMaster View Post
          The 12 bolts (I have read) were for the increased tire pressure that goes with radial tires. The 8 bolts were for older/smaller bias ply and then when they wanted to go to radials the stronger design was created.

This is of course here-say (sp?), as I really have no idea.

I have 12's with the rubber ring (NOT the rubber run flat... there was that option too, I have transported one for a buddy... I wouldn't want to try to jamb one of those bad boys into any tire) and I haven't had any issues, but at the pressures that we run, I can't see any downside to the 8's once you've cut the magnesium (alloy?) runflat off...

And yes, the bits that you cut off and the dust that you make, all make the campfire a little more exciting... TRUST ME. (you can easily turn the dead of night into daylight)
          Thanks, I think I am going to stick with the 8 bolts. Truggy, I will PM you info on the other h1 rims
          1994 YJ, 4.0, 5 speed.

Comment

Originally posted by jfiscus View Post
            This guy just cut his runflats, maybe you can get ideas here:
            http://www.mv4w.com/modules.php?name...iewtopic&t=202
            These are my wheels I tried the sawzal route and found it to be a real pain. I came up with the whole saw trick and everything was much quicker and easier. I was doing it all by my self and it was a real pain to hold the run flats while cutting them. I did all my cutting outside the shop to reduce risk of fire in the future from all the shaving.

Comment

Originally posted by crazi429 View Post
              These are my wheels I tried the sawzal route and found it to be a real pain. I came up with the whole saw trick and everything was much quicker and easier. I was doing it all by my self and it was a real pain to hold the run flats while cutting them. I did all my cutting outside the shop to reduce risk of fire in the future from all the shaving.
              The hole saw trick worked awesome. Got some of the torch blades and cut away. Tonight, I got four wheels done except for some grinding.

Thanks for all the help. Worked out great
              1994 YJ, 4.0, 5 speed.

Comment

Weights for your information:

35 lbs - H1 rim only(no beadlock or runflat)
                47 lbs - H1 rim with complete runflat
                41 lbs - H1 rim with beadlock (runflat cut off)
                12 lbs - Runflat
                6 lbs - Beadlock only (runflat portion cut off)

These are in no way exact numbers but close. I put them on a household scale that a person would weigh themselves on.
                1994 YJ, 4.0, 5 speed.

Comment

Yeah my 42" swamper tsl's and h1 rims were 148lbs!

The new setup will be almost 200lbs!
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by 94Dodge Truggy View Post
                    Yeah my 42" swamper tsl's and h1 rims were 148lbs!

The new setup will be almost 200lbs!
                    What else did you do to cut that much weight? Mine should be around 114 lbs.

Someday I would'nt mind upgrading to aluminum rims with stauns, but this is a cheap option for now.
                    1994 YJ, 4.0, 5 speed.

Comment

Originally posted by JeepHD View Post
                      Someday I would'nt mind upgrading to aluminum rims with stauns, but this is a cheap option for now.
                      I have been in situations where I have bent my steel rims very very badly and we were able to hammer them back into place. Aluminum rims would have cracked and I would have been in trouble. Just thought I would put the idea into your head.
                      91 fj 80 on 37 Nitto Muds with a 10k winch. Cage and sliders coming soon.

Comment

Progression of cutting Runflats using Holesaw and sawsall method

Click image for larger version

Name:	H1 ring prog.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	47.5 KB
ID:	68436

Name:	H1 ring prog2.JPG
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	68437

Finished Product

Name:	H1 Beadlock finished.JPG
Size:	48.0 KB
ID:	68438

Name:	Finish H1s.JPG
Size:	53.6 KB
ID:	68439
                        1994 YJ, 4.0, 5 speed.

Comment

looking good!

Comment

Yep when I figured out to use the hole saw it to cut them down it took less time to do the last 3 runflats then the first one did by its self.

Comment

Working...
                            X