Drive shafts. DIY vs shops

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drive shafts. DIY vs shops

Need a new front drive shaft for my Toyota. The one I just slung out was a square tube shaft I threw together just to get on the trails. The factory slip isn't long enough any more.

So my questions are. Are there any reputable drive line companies in the area that don't think their stuff is made of gold? Should I just buy one of the DIY kits from Marlin, trail gear or the like? This is off road only so it doesn't need to be balanced.

Anything else that I should take into consideration?
    JT Jones

83 Toyota - beater
    87 Toyota Truggy

Todd can build you one. Worth a call.
    Ian

06 Toyota 4Runner

Comment

I prefer making my own and saving $$$$$

Comment

Originally posted by 93 Krawler View Post
        I prefer making my own and saving $$$$$
        I'm right there with ya. The stock toyotas only have about 5" of usable slip. I need about 6-7" of slip. Anyone know of a factory slip that I could repurpose for my yota with enough slip? Really hate to spend $150-$250 for just the spline kit from anyone.
        JT Jones

83 Toyota - beater
        87 Toyota Truggy

Comment

Do you have a shackle reverse? Why else would you need so much slip?

Comment

i dont use 2" mayb of slip with 17" coilovers, i figured it was a leaf spring thing
            SMITH BUILT PERIOD

Comment

I may have something set up wrong.

Current setup is a single case that has been tucked, RUF springs. Tried lengthing the stock drive shaft 2". It will fully compress the slip and pulls apart when it flexes out hard. All I know that is wrong is I need some degree shims to get the caster corrected, but that shouldn't effect the slip length. Any ideas?
              JT Jones

83 Toyota - beater
              87 Toyota Truggy

Comment

the natural moion of leaves causes the need for exta slip.

as leaves droop out, the axle will move forward as well as drop out, both will increase the length of the shaft. when it compresses the axle will move rearward as well as up, both of which shorten the shaft needed. between the two phenomenon alot more slipp will be used with rear-shackled leafs.

with Links, the natural arc helps combat this as the axle does the opposite. as you droop, you axle moves back and down and under compression moves up and forward so the length of slip needed is decreased greatly with links over leaves.
                beat up rusted out k5

Comment

The natural motion of leaves set up in a shackle reverse type suspension will do that,which is why I asked, but after I reread the first post I saw it was a Toyota so it probably is shackle reverse. If that is the case I'd order a long spline kit and make my own drive shaft

Comment

Working...
                  X