School me on cb radios

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• School me on cb radios

Something I've been needing for a while now. Need some ideas for what to look for or stay away from. The cheapos from radio shack good enough for what we do or what would you suggest?
    JT Jones

83 Toyota - beater
    87 Toyota Truggy

Cheapos do just fine. Main thing is get a good coax and at least 4 ft antenna. Cobra and midland make I think the 2 best small radios. You don't need a huge one to talk to china, just down the trail. Some guys even run hand held cbs
    If you don't want it broke, don't let me drive it....

Comment

I've always heard you should buy the cheapest radio you can find, and the best antenna you can afford.

I put a 4' firestik on mine and fixed the ground (important!) and it made a world of difference, with the same old POS radio...

Robert
      DIRTY DEEDS, DONE DIRT CHEAP
      Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stranger

Comment

Roberts correct. the Antenna is the most important part of the setup. any radio and good antenna.

Originally posted by WrenchMonkey View Post
        I've always heard you should buy the cheapest radio you can find, and the best antenna you can afford.

I put a 4' firestik on mine and fixed the ground (important!) and it made a world of difference, with the same old POS radio...

Robert
        just don’t get stupid and stick a Chevy engine in your Jeep. Man I hate that

Comment

Thanks, looks like I'll just pick up a cheapo. Truck already has a huge whip antenna on it (8ft?). We'll see how well it works.
          JT Jones

83 Toyota - beater
          87 Toyota Truggy

Comment

Those big whips don't work very well

Comment

Originally posted by Jonesy View Post
              Thanks, looks like I'll just pick up a cheapo. Truck already has a huge whip antenna on it (8ft?). We'll see how well it works.
              not to be a party pooper on the whip antenna but you will also make friends when your bouncing down the trail smackin people with it.... just saying we have experiance with that...(goerge)
              One of these days Zuk 2.0

Comment

Guess I'll grab a shorter antenna while I'm at it.
                JT Jones

83 Toyota - beater
                87 Toyota Truggy

Comment

Originally posted by Jonesy View Post
                  Guess I'll grab a shorter antenna while I'm at it.
                  dont get me wrong there are a few people that deserve a good smack every now and then but dang it stings...of course his was also on a spring so it really would get spectaters
                  One of these days Zuk 2.0

Comment

Just got my Cobra 29 LTD with 4' FireStik antenna and tailgate mount. I'm learning too, but my friend has a tuner so we should get this up and running soon!

Comment

Check out your local truckstop.They are always running a sale on CBs...My Radio is a Midland for 30.00.The antenna 15.00 coaxial 15.00.

Why spend any more....
                      Just a 200 dollar cherokee that wouldn't start ..
                      Ten years later same chrome grille ..

Comment

Originally posted by Coppertop View Post
                        Check out your local truckstop.They are always running a sale on CBs...My Radio is a Midland for 30.00.The antenna 15.00 coaxial 15.00.

Why spend any more....
                        Duh....why didn't I think of that. There is a Flying J right up the road.
                        JT Jones

83 Toyota - beater
                        87 Toyota Truggy

Comment

Another thing to keep in mind is your ground plane. The larger and flatter the surface you mount the antenna on, the better. I had a Wilson Lil' Wil magnetic antenna sitting on the roof of my F-250 with a peaked and tuned Cobra 29 and I could pretty much talk to God with it.

Comment

there is a CB shop on Cinci Dayton Road. Nice guy has a lot of stuff. new and used radios. just tuned mine for free.
                            --------
                            O____O
                            (O|||||||O)
                            --O---O--

Comment

Originally posted by Flxratd View Post
                              dont get me wrong there are a few people that deserve a good smack every now and then but

So true...
                              just don’t get stupid and stick a Chevy engine in your Jeep. Man I hate that

Comment

Working...
                              X