Best shocks for towing with the JK

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best shocks for towing with the JK

Hello, I have a stock 2012 JK and hate the suspension. It's pretty bouncing and rolly, etc. I've been towing occassionally (10-12 times a year) with mostly light loads and a 16ft dual axle trailer. Mostly motorcycles and gear, furniture, etc.

The most recent time towing i could really notice the Jeep felt like the front wheels were a bit "lifted" and I was getting a lot of steering drift going down the highway. I suppose the rear was squatting a bit as you would expect. And I had too much tonque weight towards the front of the trailer, methinks.

But even when doing city driving with nothing towed, the suspension rolls and bounces a bit more than I like. I want to improve the city ride as well as help with towing better. I want to put on some better shocks that will be good for street driving (95% of what I do) as well as good for when I'm towing. What do you suggest?

When I lifted mine, I put Bilstein 5100s on it. They did very well.

Comment

Originally posted by Trigger View Post
      When I lifted mine, I put Bilstein 5100s on it. They did very well.
      I'm keeping my 4 door Wrangler Sahara stock, no lift. Bilstein may be overkill and pricey?

Comment

Originally posted by MauserFan View Post
        I'm keeping my 4 door Wrangler Sahara stock, no lift. Bilstein may be overkill and pricey?
        bilsteins 5100s are a nice upgrade over a stock shock and give you a better ride but would not be overkill and are not real pricey in the world of shocks. they would give you a much better ride for general driving but if you are allready dragging arse i dont think they will do you much good. it sounds like you need to better disstribute they weight or be looking into some sort of overload set up but be carefull because even if it will hold it up it doesnt mean it is going to handle or stop it any better.
        One of these days Zuk 2.0

Comment

Good shocks are expensive... Cheap shocks are "pretty bouncy and rolly"

With that being said bds is a good affordable shock but still won't perform as well as bilsteins or the higher end shocks
          S10 with a few air shocks..

Comment

looks like the 5100s are between 79.95-84.95 ea but it looks like they might not be available for stock height, most of the jk sites are saying 1.5-3" lift with the 5100s. the bilsteins hd,s are avail but know nothing about feedback on those.

Comment

Thanks guys. I appreciate the response.

"Good shocks are expensive... Cheap shocks are "pretty bouncy and rolly"

Yes, you've got me there. I should not be Mr. Cheap and just do it. I'd be happier.

I'll look into the Bilstein HD's. Thanks Flxratd

Comment

You might also want to look into Old Man Emu. They are pretty reasonable and I hear they ride pretty well also. I know they haven a regular and an HD setup on their systems.

Comment

If you have to much weight on the trailer tongue you woud have light steering. Move the weight back a little and go for a test drive.

Comment

Sway A Ways are nice for towing.

Comment

Originally posted by timido View Post
                      If you have to much weight on the trailer tongue you woud have light steering. Move the weight back a little and go for a test drive.
                      Yep, that much I understand. I probably didn't need to include all of that info. Just looking for replacement shocks (stock ones seem too soft) that could possibly also aid in towing.

Anyone ever use an air system on the rear for leveling when towing, etc? Just thinking out loud.

GPER - Nice to see you again. It's been awhile since I've been on any Jeep boards. I still recall your willingness to aid me when I broke my front spring mount on my 95 YJ at haspin acres. You saved my butt that day. Thank you.

Comment

Anyone ever use an air system on the rear for leveling when towing, etc? Just thinking out loud.

i thought i recognized your screen name from terrain stompers days. welcome to core.
                        as far as air ride helper set ups i have installed several on 1/2 ton trucks for guys pulling to big of travel trailers behind there trucks and have only had good feedback from them on the product and funtion but never looked to see if there is any kind of kit for a jk.. just remember like i said in an earlier post that just because you can hold it up doesnt make it right or safe. any vehicle is designed for a certain load and when you excede it you have load ratings on tires, stress on wheel bearings and underpowered brakes to deal with..

Comment

GPER - Nice to see you again. It's been awhile since I've been on any Jeep boards. I still recall your willingness to aid me when I broke my front spring mount on my 95 YJ at haspin acres. You saved my butt that day. Thank you.
                          Glad to see you back at it, we do have to stick together.

Are the shocks that you are running now oil or gas filled?? Gas seam to be stiffer for me since I don't run sway bars. Before the lift I ran the coil over shock for towing and they worked great.

Comment

this reminds me of "Trucks" on spike on weekends! lmao
                            SMITH BUILT PERIOD

Comment

Rancho 9000s. Set them stiffer for towing and more moderate for street driving.
                              Just another three linked stretched '95 YJ on 38s with a bunch of stuff scattered on the garage floor.

Comment

Working...
                              X