Full hydro question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Full hydro question

To vent or not to vent. Why should you vent the system, and what happens if you don't?

I plan to vent mine to account for heat expansion. Maybe use a "tip over valve" like used on a fuel cell.
    1988 Suzuki Samurai on propane
    FJ 40 axles (4.10)
    5.14 tcase
    36" TSL SX

Comment

single ended ram- must vent to atmosphere.

double ended- just need a bellows for expansion as mentioned
      my next rig will be on the trail before zuk 2.0 will

Comment

Originally posted by yellowjacket View Post
        single ended ram- must vent to atmosphere.
        What happens if you don't?

Comment

mine aint vented, no troubles so far
          SMITH BUILT PERIOD

Comment

Originally posted by 93 Krawler View Post
            What happens if you don't?
            You risk blowing a seal. My PCS Reservoir came vented.
            One Country, One Flag, One Language...
            LIKE IT OR LEAVE IT!!!

Comment

when a single ended ram is fully extended(piston out)your fluid level in your resoivoir drops becausethe fluid volume is now in thecylinder. when cylinder is fully collapsed(piston in) the fluid fills back in the resoivoir which will always be when the resoirvoir is "fullest". if u dident have any vent the resoivoir would go into a vacume when cylinder is extended and wouldgo into a positive when cylinder is collapsed (talking about the air space in the resovoir).

on a double ended ram as the piston collapses on one side it extends on the other so theram actually holds close to the same amount of volume at all points of stroke except at full lock both ways and even then it dosent change drastically. so the fluid in the resoivoir dosent move up and down as drastically, so the air gap between fluid level and cap dosent change as much. you still have some movement and as mentioned expansion as fluid gets warmer.

single ended could get by with a bellows but it would have to be huge..never seen one big enuff. im sure if u had one and did lock to lock it would look quite vulgar :)

a lot of rigs that dont think they are vented with a single ended ram actually have some leakage in the cap or resorvoir(thereby are indeed"vented")
              my next rig will be on the trail before zuk 2.0 will

Comment

Originally posted by yellowjacket View Post
                when a single ended ram is fully extended(piston out)your fluid level in your resoivoir drops becausethe fluid volume is now in thecylinder. when cylinder is fully collapsed(piston in) the fluid fills back in the resoivoir which will always be when the resoirvoir is "fullest". if u dident have any vent the resoivoir would go into a vacume when cylinder is extended and wouldgo into a positive when cylinder is collapsed (talking about the air space in the resovoir).

on a double ended ram as the piston collapses on one side it extends on the other so theram actually holds close to the same amount of volume at all points of stroke except at full lock both ways and even then it dosent change drastically. so the fluid in the resoivoir dosent move up and down as drastically, so the air gap between fluid level and cap dosent change as much. you still have some movement and as mentioned expansion as fluid gets warmer.

single ended could get by with a bellows but it would have to be huge..never seen one big enuff. im sure if u had one and did lock to lock it would look quite vulgar :)

a lot of rigs that dont think they are vented with a single ended ram actually have some leakage in the cap or resorvoir(thereby are indeed"vented")
                So say a single ram system is closed with maybe a minor leak letting some pressure off, would that make it hard to steer? I was discussing this with someone and wanted to know how a single ram closed system would act.

Comment

Sorry for the noob question, but are you guys purely talking venting just like an axle has, or adding a cooler for the ram?

Comment

Originally posted by BillysGruff View Post
                    Sorry for the noob question, but are you guys purely talking venting just like an axle has, or adding a cooler for the ram?
                    Just venting to the atmosphere. I have a 2qt reservoir that runs to a catch can that is vented. I also use a 24,000 GVW trans cooler and 14" electric fan to cool the steering system. The system usually never gets above 100 degrees.

Comment

Yellowjacket good tech and is explaining why I had some I the problems I had in the past... What is the "vent " to use so that in case of a roll the fluid doesn't all leak out... Is there a designed vent specifically for this?
                      S10 with a few air shocks..

Comment

Originally posted by humpy View Post
                        Yellowjacket good tech and is explaining why I had some I the problems I had in the past... What is the "vent " to use so that in case of a roll the fluid doesn't all leak out... Is there a designed vent specifically for this?
                        You could run it to a catch can or simply route the vent hose like you would on a fuel cell vent.
                        One Country, One Flag, One Language...
                        LIKE IT OR LEAVE IT!!!

Comment

Fuel cell has rollover valve so I don't really do much with it just a tube down over the side
                          S10 with a few air shocks..

Comment

If I end up on the roof, I should only lose what's in the catch bottle. The tube in the catch can runs to the bottom, which if upside down, would be the higher point. If I flop on the side, well, i dunno... I'll have to let you know when that happens. An inline hose rollover valve would be cool.

Comment

Originally posted by 93 Krawler View Post
                              If I end up on the roof, I should only lose what's in the catch bottle. The tube in the catch can runs to the bottom, which if upside down, would be the higher point. If I flop on the side, well, i dunno... I'll have to let you know when that happens. An inline hose rollover valve would be cool.
                              We can test the side flop out in Harlan next week

Comment

Working...
                              X