Lockright issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lockright issues

Tonight my Lockright quit unlocking. Can I do anything without tearing into it?
    91 fj 80 on 37 Nitto Muds with a 10k winch. Cage and sliders coming soon.

Originally posted by itbrokeagain View Post
    Tonight my Lockright quit unlocking. Can I do anything without tearing into it?
    Try getting all 4 wheels off the ground and try to spin them, maybe even try putting it in gear and letting it spin... I have heard stories of the drive line getting bound up enough to do what you describe... Do u have both lock outs on the front? A drive flange might effect that too...

sigpic
    chris hodges
    96 fzj80 3x locked, 4"lift, 37s, homebrew sliders and bumpers,a work in progress
    71 fj55, SOA, locked...The jungle bus... retired

Comment

In my experience I would say just keep driving it and at some point you will hear a big bang that sounds like you just broke the Ring & pinion and it will start working fine again.
      No need for a Winch...You just have to make it !!

Comment

Originally posted by gothodgie View Post
        Try getting all 4 wheels off the ground and try to spin them, maybe even try putting it in gear and letting it spin... I have heard stories of the drive line getting bound up enough to do what you describe... Do u have both lock outs on the front? A drive flange might effect that too...

Nope both lockouts on the front.

Originally posted by Runoveru2 View Post
        In my experience I would say just keep driving it and at some point you will hear a big bang that sounds like you just broke the Ring & pinion and it will start working fine again.
        So is this normal to happen once in a while?

Comment

Nope both lockouts on the front.

So is this normal to happen once in a while?
          It could be possible that a piece of a gear could be stuck in between the locker and it cannot operate properly, but they do tend to lock up and not wanna operate the way they should sometimes,I can't count how many times my locker had done this over the years till it finally broke the housing of the locker on my last trip to Harlan.
          No need for a Winch...You just have to make it !!

Comment

Replace the springs and Pins. The rebuild kit is only ~$20.

Comment

Originally posted by beer_goggles_009 View Post
              his lockrights are brand new...
              sigpic
              chris hodges
              96 fzj80 3x locked, 4"lift, 37s, homebrew sliders and bumpers,a work in progress

Comment

Originally posted by gothodgie View Post
                his lockrights are brand new...
                Nope the rear is pretty old. It was from Nick. He had it in his 40.

Comment

Nope the rear is pretty old. It was from Nick. He had it in his 40.
                  oh... thought they were both new when u got your gears...
                  sigpic
                  chris hodges

Comment

Originally posted by beer_goggles_009 View Post
                    That's what I was thinking....
                    just don’t get stupid and stick a Chevy engine in your Jeep. Man I hate that

Comment

I would be willing to bet that at least one pin broke and fell down between the two halves. mine did that way too many times and I may even have some pins and springs you can have. had them 2 weeks ago when I was going thru some old stuff and don't remember tossing them out. will look tomorrow.
                      95 yj, fresh fuel injected 302, c-6, twin sticked 205, 3 linked high pinion d60 front, double trianulated 4 linked 14 bolt rear (all aluminum links) locked both ends, 4:56 gears, full hydro steering, high steer, 4 wheel discs, 16" 2.5 fox air shocks, 39.5" irok's. just finishing a full frame-up redo thanks to a great friend and one knowledgable(sp?) s.o.b casey cravens for without him this could not have been done in such a short time and done right!

LOOK OUT "WHITEY" HERE I COME!!!

Comment

Sorry I should have updated. I have a spring kit I just need to do it now. I also found one of my inner front axle seals leaking so I need to address that also

Comment

Working...
                        X