clearance issue ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• clearance issue ?

I finally got my new tires I have a ford 8.8 in the rear of my tj I have about a inch of clearance between tire and rear spring mount bracket that is welded to the frame if I air that tire down will it rub the mount I dont want that to happen as when I first got it going didnt have trackbar adjusted correctly and popped a buckshot mudder qr78 15lt that they dont make anymore any info is appreciated thx

Airing down won't matter, but flexing out the suspension just might.

Robert
    DIRTY DEEDS, DONE DIRT CHEAP
    Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stranger

Comment

(So this is probably you? http://cincinnati.craigslist.org/pts/4403331797.html)

Comment

Sounds like the mount you are talking about is towards the top of the tire and like said above airing down shouldn't matter.....but why don't you just air the tire down in the driveway and take a look? Also as said above I would be more concerned about what happens when the suspension is flexed out as when you cross the Jeep up the tire on the side stuffed up is angled closer in towards the frame and mounts.

Comment

Yep that is me costly mistake so I ordered new tires and rims and it about killed me to do it had other plans for the jeep

Comment

Maybe shoulda ordered some with a little less backspacing?

Comment

Spacers wouldn't fix this?

Comment

Kinda scared to use spacers doesnt seem like I read any thing good about them I have spacers that came with jeep I ordered rims with 3.5 backspacing I jacked up each side as far as I could and they dont hit I am a newb learning as I go trying to make safe reliable daily driver that can go offroad any help and advise is appreciated just trying to do it right the first time

Comment

Sorry, I thought I read you still had 4.5"BS.

Jacking it up is a start, but if you can find somewhere to flex it up, it'll give you a better test. Roadside ditch, sloped loading dock, something.

If it turns out you do need them, spacers aren't as bad as they used to be. Gotta make sure you keep em torqued right, and check them occasionally. Pretty common solution for putting the narrower 8.8 in the TJ and XJ.

And doing stuff "right the first time" only means you were lucky! Experience is the best way to learn!

Robert

Comment

It usually never works out the first time I have adjusted my front control arms about 4 times and I still think its wrong haha well actually I am not happy about it thinking of taken it to a shop to have my work double checked sorta frustrated jeep has been down about 5 mos except for my journey just to blowout tire

Comment

Andy (monkeystrong) just took his TJ in for "professional" alignment, and the guys wouldn't touch his caster, because they didn't want to mess with the control arms. Just a heads up.

My experience, caster's not nearly as important as toe anyway, and you cam dial that in with a tape measure.

Comment

Was thinking of possibly taking to a offroad shop just dont where to go I rode out to performance offroad in alexandria awhile ago and he scared me away with his prices seemed like he did good work I got my front lower control arms with 1.75 thread showing and per curries instruction it says no more than .75 thread should be showing fml

Comment

Take it to Steele's Hometown Tire in Burlington, Ky. I used to work there and the alignment guy there is one of the best I know of. Just tell him you think the control arms need adjusted and he won't have any problem doing it.

Comment

Cool thanks man I will look into it

Comment

Working...
                            X