7.3l valve cover gasket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 7.3l valve cover gasket

It seems the majority of my oil leak is from my passenger valve cover gasket. Is there anything special I need to know about replacing it and dealing with the wiring harness?
    91 fj 80 on 37 Nitto Muds with a 10k winch. Cage and sliders coming soon.

Not really.pretty simple. If your talking about a powerstroke diesel. Remove the bolts, unplug all wires in the way, disconnect the intake and intercooler pipes in the way.

Comment

I am. It is a 95 so I believe it is non intercooled. It's wide open with nothing in the way but I wasn't sure if I had to do anything special because of the harness in the valve cover

Comment

Not that I know of.on my 99 just pulled everything out of the way undo your bolts take off the cover carefully and remove the harness.

Comment

Awesome. Thank you!

Comment

Yup no problem. Also if youve never replaced the glow plugs probably wouldn't be a bad idea to do so while your in there. They were only about 100 bucks for my 99.

Comment

I think they have been done but I will check into it. Thanks

Comment

I just put GP's in my 2000, cost me $80 using Motorcraft factory parts. Don't use anything but OEM glow plugs , the internets full of horror stories about faulty cheapo GP's that deform and break off in the head.

I also just did new valve cover gaskets and harnesses .

Comment

Yea what jeff said is true as well. Dont use anything but motorcade glow plugs. Only place I could find them around me was a savage auto parts. All the other places sold Chinese brands.

Comment

Is this as easy as changing sparkplugs? This morning it was very difficult to start and it blew tons of white smoke for a minute. I was told the smoke was normal for a 7.3

Comment

Originally posted by itbrokeagain View Post
                      Is this as easy as changing sparkplugs? This morning it was very difficult to start and it blew tons of white smoke for a minute. I was told the smoke was normal for a 7.3
                      White smoke on any diesel at start up is unburnt fuel ..don't matter what brand truck it is..diesels with proper air/fuel or chamber heaters don't smoke but just a couple little puffs. GP's are a little work but not crazy hard..its a all day job.

Comment

Yea. I had my drivers side tore apart, all plugs replaced and put back together in a hour and a half. Now the other side took 7.5 hrs due to circumstances i dealt with on that side. But yes their pretty simple. Basic tools, twelve pack and a radio you should be good. Oh and make sure you dont start the truck up near a wall, roll it outside you will have a little oil come out the exhaust which is ok
                        Its just leak down from changing glow plugs

Comment

Also you could try letting the glow plugs heat up for two cycles I did on mine and helped a little or plug it in if possible.

Comment

This only happens when it is cold in the mornings. Warm mornings or any other time it doesn't do it

Comment

Will do. Thank you!

Comment

Working...
                              X