Diesel question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Diesel question

So at -5 my truck did not want to start. The batteries were pretty low before it started. Between cranking and cycling the key I probably went through 5 glow plug cycles. I will not put thinner oil in it. Is a shot of ether safe to use on diesel?
    91 fj 80 on 37 Nitto Muds with a 10k winch. Cage and sliders coming soon.

Manual glow plug controls?...if so the a little shot of starting fluid is fine. Just never ether with hot or on glowplugs..!

Comment

what truck do you have?

If the batteries are low, a diesel wont start. A diesel must hit a cetain RPM to fire. I learned the hard way about that a couple years ago.
      1976 CJ 5
      1984 CJ 7
      1993 K3500 GMC 6.5 TD

Comment

Ether is a drug, literally and figuratively. A single shot of ether is not going to harm anything. However; once you've taken the time to make sure you have it available it will become your go to cure. And the real issue will never be resolved.

As a go to method of starting the vehicle you will risk mushrooming your glow plugs and deteriorating multiple seals. Ether is also a solvent and should be treated as such.

I would say your root cause is one or more of your glow plugs are failing or already mushroomed. Consider a block heater and run winter fuel.

Comment

Also..modern diesels have specific minium volatage requirements ..low batteries might not have the juice to turn the truck over and run the electronics.

Thinner oil does help.

Comment

The truck is a 95 7.3. Took about 10 minutes to get it running this morning. It is plugged in on a timer that comes on about 2 hrs before I need to leave. This morning was the first time I had to crank it enough that I noticed battery drain. The glow plugs are about 2 years old but I don't know the brand. I do not know if the glow plug relay was changed at that time. The batteries are 3 years old but the truck sat for a little over a year before I got it but it was started every few months. I got it in early august from a friend.
            It tries to start almost immediately but doesnt. Usually I crank a while then cycle the glow plugs when it is really cold. It is my understanding that the hpop needs to build 500 psi to fire the injectors. My guess is all of my issues are oil related but I have a oil leak (that I plan on taking care of soon) so I don't want to go thinner. Anything above 50 it starts immediately.
            Also while I'm cranking it blows tons of white smoke. As soon as it starts, it quits.
            So the ether would only be in situations like this morning where it's too cold and won't start. It defiantly won't be a habit. I do know of a guy that was a Ford diesel mechanic that works out of his house now that I will have look at it probably in the next month or 2 for some other stuff and I will bring this up

Comment

Can you bypass the heater timer on really cold nights like this? That 7.3 is a big honkin block. Once all that thermal mass is down below zero, it's hard work to get it warm again.

If you let the heater run all night, and keep it from getting that cold, I bet you'll be okay.
              DIRTY DEEDS, DONE DIRT CHEAP
              Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stranger

Comment

Originally posted by WrenchMonkey View Post
                Can you bypass the heater timer on really cold nights like this? That 7.3 is a big honkin block. Once all that thermal mass is down below zero, it's hard work to get it warm again.

If you let the heater run all night, and keep it from getting that cold, I bet you'll be okay.
                I will tonight. Not a bad idea. How was your truck when it got really cold?

Comment

Originally posted by itbrokeagain View Post
                  How was your truck when it got really cold?
                  Anytime below freezing I'd have to plug it in. No timer, just an extension cord from the garage.

The times I forgot (or didn't plan to drive it) and I tried to plug it in the next morning for a couple hours, it was definitely less effective.

As long as I plugged it in all night, and kept healthy batteries in it, it usually started pretty easy.
                  DIRTY DEEDS, DONE DIRT CHEAP
                  Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stranger

Comment

I had to jump my Cummins this morning (batteries are dead)and haven't started it in a few days. Fired right off and smoked like a semi lol. But to answer your question I wouldn't ever use ether,I've heard of guys melting positions,runaway engines, etc. I'm not saying doing it one time will hurt it but I wouldn't get in the habit as stated above. First things first though get your batteries tested,if their bad get them both replaced at the same time!if that doesn't help then you can start testing relays and plugs. Heck you can do the relay first. Can't remember how you check it though sorry.

I had a 99 powerstroke and I to had to plug it in or cycle the key 2-3 times in cold temperatures until I did some diagnostic and determined glow plugs weren't working properly.it you get to where you need glow plugs buy motorcraft only.

Comment

WD40 is supposed to work and be easier on them if you have to spray.

Comment

I've used starting fluid many times over the years, but also only use it as a last resort. Also make sure the glow plugs are disabled. On mine I can get under the hood and unplug the connector from the controller. Here are some lessons I have learned with owning an older diesel for 20 years.

- Cranking speed is extremely important and obviously directly tied to battery condition. I have actually replaced older batteries in my diesel because it was struggling to start in the cold, and then used these old batteries in other gas vehicles for a couple of years with no issues.

- Check glow plug conditions. On your truck it's probably pretty easy to run through and check the plugs.

- 2 hours with the block heater is not even close to long enough to be fully effective. I would leave it plugged in all night.

Comment

My truck cranked strong and fast this morning. I had the heater plugged in all night bit it was also a lot warmer this morning. I was told 2 hrs was all that was needed to heat it up. I guess not

Comment

I have a 95 psd as well. Since your glowplugs aren't that old, if the relay is working as it should, first place I would look is the under valve cover harness. Fairly common issue. In some of the cheap (non motorcraft) replacement harnesses I've seen the wires for the glowplugs fail in just a few years. Only time my truck gets plugged in is when I know I am using it in the morning. Even at -3 the other morning, cycled glowplugs twice and she fired right up. She makes a lot of noise and smokes but starts. Glowplugs, relay, and harnesses are probably 5+ yrs old. Batteries are stickered 2007. If you use ether, disable the glowplugs as you can blow the tip off in the cylinder. I run 15-40w year round btw.
                            85 toyota ex cab a few goodies

Comment

The valve cover gasket was replaced a few years but I don't know of Motorcraft was used. I am replacing them again soon though because they are leaking again and will be replaced with Motorcraft. My batteries are stickered 2012

Comment

Working...
                              X