What Locker?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Locker?

So the last time I was at Slade I destroyed my front locker. It was a Genuine Gear Quick Lock (same as a lock-rite) although Genuine Gear no longer makes them. It has served me well since 2002. A friend of mine has had two of them in his Jeep and both have had problems with disengaging under load. I took some of the parts from one he had and used them to fix mine. I now have the same problem, it won't stay engaged.

I am going to replace it with another "lunchbox" style locker. Even though my original one worked great I am nervous to put another one in with all the trouble my friend had. I was looking at either the Aussie or the Spartan locker. Anyone have any experience with these two lockers? I think I like the spring pin design in the Spartan better and was leaning in that direction.

I use the lock rite and it has held up for 6 years now. Don't know about any others. I would say they all will fail after years of abuse.

Comment

I didn't break my last lockrite, I broke the big cross pin for the carrier, I just installed a new lock right with a Chromoly crosspin. My lockrite after years of service did show cracks in the housing where the pins sit. I plan to fix this and use as a spare. If your lock right won't stay engaged it could be a couple different things, the crosspin is broke, your washers are wore out that sit between the locker and carrier , or the teeth to the locker are not meshing correctly due to damaged teeth. Overall these lockers do perform well for the price.
      No need for a Winch...You just have to make it !!

Comment

if you can get a aussie locker for your axle then that is what i would get. They are a drop in locker as well but seem to be made a little better. i have had both and ran them and had no problems out of my aussie for 2 years. when i took it out to sale it it still looked brand new.

Comment

I run Lokka lockers in my junk. Holding up so far and cheaper than aussie. Bought them for that reason. Prior to that it was aussie all the way for me

sent on tapatalk
          www.offroadohio.com
          www.facebook.com/offroadohio1
          www.youtube.com/offroadohio1
          www.photobucket.com/offroadohio

Comment

Pretty sure a lockrite and a aussie locker is the same thing, if you buy aussie pretty sure you just buying the name. I just recently purchased a new lockrite and it is a little different than my old one and you can tell that it has been upgraded from my older 1. I did find out that the spartan locker is the same, only difference is the 4 pins are slightly larger.
            Last edited by Runoveru2; 01-23-2015, 05:24 PM.

Comment

Aussie is cheaper Than Lock rite.

Unless aussie makes lock rite now they are not the same. Torque masters make aussie.

Lokka used to make the aussie until torque masters started producing them here in the states

sent on tapatalk
              www.offroadohio.com

Comment

Originally posted by offroadohio View Post
                Aussie is cheaper Than Lock rite.

Unless aussie makes lock rite now they are not the same. Torque masters make aussie.

Lokka used to make the aussie until torque masters started producing them here in the states

sent on tapatalk
                No kidding didn't know that, I figured Aussie was more expensive, guess I should have replaced with a Aussie, could have saved a few bucks. Ha ha... O well, I will eventually replace with a Air or E-locker anyways. Love my air locker in the front, just need to save up for the rear.

Comment

Aussie are generally 260- 290 new. Shipped

Lokka are 220 shipped

sent on tapatalk
                  www.offroadohio.com

Comment

Runoveru2, What was different about the new Lock Right?

Comment

I've been happy with the Lock-right in the front of mine. Probably 10 years old now and survived 2 broken 30-spline stubs and a third that was twisted. This is a D60 in a fullsize rig with 38's and then 40's. I do know two guys who broke D60 Lock-rights but both were in fullsize trucks with big-blocks, 42" tires, and a heavy right foot.

Comment

Originally posted by Ky Mudhunter View Post
                        Runoveru2, What was different about the new Lock Right?
                        Newer lockrite came with dual springs, (2 springs per pin compared to single in older version) lockrite housing where pins sit in is a little thicker than older version ( I cracked my lockrite housing where pins sit in) Also came with what appears to be a Chromoly carrier pin where the old 1 did not. Hell when I bought the last lockrite bout 10 years ago it didn't even come with a carrier pin......also forgot to mention the inner spacers were upgraded (new spacers are a cup now instead of a washer)
                        Last edited by Runoveru2; 01-23-2015, 10:48 PM.

Comment

Mine is the older version (12 years old) and cracked where the pins are. The holes are also very oval shaped where the pins go also. That is why I tried the parts from my friend's old one (of the same design).

So no one has used the Spartan?

Comment

The new lockrite didn't look thicker where the pin sits in ? 2 holes on each part should be oval, did your new 1 come with dual springs and carrier pin ? I have setup 2 Spartans for a guy last year and I don't remember it coming with new heavy duty carrier pins. The 4 little pins are just a little bigger is all on a spartan...... so does your locker stay engaged or won't engage?
                            Last edited by Runoveru2; 01-23-2015, 10:06 PM.

Comment

Here is some info I found
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X