Blazer repair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blazer repair

As most people on here know I suffered some breakage at Haspin during the Hangover run. Driver's side front center pin broke allowing the front axle to slide backwards and allowing the bottom leaf to fall out (never did find it).
    Then found the passenger side shackle to frame bolt sheared off......not sure which happened first but one probably caused the other. Lucked out and was able to drive it back to the trailer and get it him without much trouble.

Anyway, just getting around to working on it. I've pulled out the complete front axle before in probably an hour but this time it decided to fight back and took about 3 hours. Also had one of the bolts that holds the passenger side inner spring on (there is a u-bolt on the outside and the inside are threaded holes that go into the center section). That is going to be fun to fix (broke studs twice shortly after installing the D60 years ago, the grade 8 bolts have lasted for years). To top it off I called the spring vendor and they son't sell just the one spring I need. I have an extra set of rear springs with about the same arch, and think I still have a set of front lift springs somewhere also, so will have to come up with some hybrid pack.

Kevin 93 Krawler may have a spring, he runs chevy packs
    No need for a Winch...You just have to make it !!

Comment

i have a couple springs, 3 linking my k5 and will have a pair of front BDS 6" springs hopefully after next weekend. Will be doing me no good if you want them, yours if you come pick em up as soon as i pull them.
      beat up rusted out k5

Comment

Originally posted by Runoveru2 View Post
        Kevin 93 Krawler may have a spring, he runs chevy packs
        Pretty sure my packs are longer than what he needs. 54 in front and 63 in the back.

Comment

Really only need a couple of short leafs. My current spring packs are 4" lift Tuff Country HD versions, with the only difference from their standard rate springs is the thick bottom leaf. I have the HD's because of the diesel engine and winch/bumper on the front. The plan would be to come up with something halfway comparable to replace the missing bottom leaf from the driver's side, and then also replace the passenger side bottom leaf with the same thing as the driver's side so both sides are the same.

Comment

If you just need some short leaves I have a set of cab and chassis spring with 12-15 leaves in each pack. You're welcome to take them apart and get a few leaves if you want.

Comment

Originally posted by Nuts View Post
              If you just need some short leaves I have a set of cab and chassis spring with 12-15 leaves in each pack. You're welcome to take them apart and get a few leaves if you want.
              I will definitely keep that in mind if I don't have anything here that will work. Thanks.

Comment

What about Brighton spring? I'm sure they would have something you could use
                91 fj 80 on 37 Nitto Muds with a 10k winch. Cage and sliders coming soon.

Comment

Worked on it a little bit on Sunday. Dug through my scrap pile and found my old front springs (4" Skyjacker, replaced them because bent the main leaf on one side). Looks like the bottom leak on these will work pretty good.

Drilled out the 5/8" bolt that broke off and have it soaking in PB Blaster. Couldn't find my big EZ-out from the last time I broke them so will pick one up this week. Hopefully letting is soak for several days and some heat will let it come out.

Comment

How go the repairs

Comment

Friend of mine kept snapping those bolts off too so he had a U bokt made and ground some notches on bottom side of housing in the webbing so they had decent contact point... Problem solved never messed with it again till we linked it
                      S10 with a few air shocks..

Comment

No updates. Between work and the weather I haven't been too motivated to work on it. The shop is heated but I don't keep it on. The air heats up pretty fast by everything including the floor is still cold (think I'm just getting old).

Debating on what to do with the 2 bolts/studs that retain the springs. Some people drill them out to the next bigger size (seems to be plenty of room). Of course it has been around 10 years since the last time I broke them so maybe shouldn't worry too much.

Comment

IMO converting to ubolts is the best solution.
                          beat up rusted out k5

Comment

Got my new leaf springs installed last night. They should flex pretty good!

Comment

Lol

Comment

Working...
                              X